What's new
What's new

Correct name and usage of this tool?

rata222

Aluminum
Anyone know the correct name for this tool?
I received this plate from a retired Mold maker, He called it a lapping plate but wasn’t sure of the correct name. You do not charge it with abrasives like a normal lapping plate. The serrated edges are extremely sharp and used for removing metal.
He said an example of usage would be: if you had to stamp a number into a ground surface - you would then run the part over this plate to shear off any raised spots left by the stamping.
Anyone know the correct name for this plate – or who sells them? I would be interested in any additional information of where and how it is used.
Thanks
Jim

Attachments

• 20171107_143153(0).jpg
    20171107_143153(0).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 399
I am not familiar with any "correct name" for such a tool. Probably means I haven't visited enough obscure corners of the industry.

From your description, it was being used to deburr, so you could call it a deburring plate. You could also call it a manual surface broach. In both cases, you would have to show it to someone before they understood it; the name alone would not work.

It does look like a lapping plate, although if its hardened steel probably not. A lapping plate, or lap, is generally soft and is pretty precisely flat. You put abrasive on it (diamond dust or some other abrasive), and use a roller to put the abrasives particles into the lap. Then you put some oil on it. Then you take a workpiece that you want flat/smooth and rub in on the lap. The lap acts like a very fine very flat sheet of sandpaper.

But a true lap would be soft (to grab and imbed the abrasive). Are you sure its not cast iron?

I am not familiar with any "correct name" for such a tool. Probably means I haven't visited enough obscure corners of the industry.

From your description, it was being used to deburr, so you could call it a deburring plate. You could also call it a manual surface broach. In both cases, you would have to show it to someone before they understood it; the name alone would not work.

But it's not really cutting burrs, but rather the upsets that form around stamped letters and the like. Kind of like a file laid on the bench. Bench file?

Dennis

Back