What's new
What's new

can any of you guys build one of these in an afternoon?

Given the 2013 dates on some photos, and that the youtube coming out was in the last few days, I'd say this was one committed person's very long project. The really rich types are probably mostly hiring people like AlfaGT to repair real engines.....

And truth be known, it's a great project and great looking result - wonder how it's power output compares with a 125cc shifter cart engine.

It would be a very, very, long afternoon.
Wonder what the total build time was? Of what practical use, and why you would do it.
I can see the fun factor but why not just a build a real sized one from scratch?
Obviously a very skilled guy but why spend the skill and the few hours that God gave you on the earth on such a project?
If you used such as a teaching of an apprentice I'm all for that.
I'd be very upset if the people I've taught over the years could not do this on their own.

It is really neat and all that but why....
Bob

It is really neat and all that but why....
Bob

If you have to ask, there is likely no point to the answer. Its called self actualization, doing more in life than working sleeping eating and shitting. you've never had the desire to create something? If no, I feel sorry for you. If yes, but you just don't get why someone would make this particular thing, remember we're different, and it does not matter whether you or I get what (literally) turns his crank...point is something did and and acted on it and it to a admirable standard.

Think of how dull and a grey the world would be like if no one created things other than what has a pragmatic purpose.

You can see many engines at the Cabin Fever Expo in Pa. every year.

One old guy built a perfect model 12 cylinder Merlin engine. Now,THAT was cool!

I passed up a beautiful model sprint race car about 18" long,wth a 4 cylinder gas engine in it. It sounded just like a REAL race car. How he got those deep tones out of that engine was great! He only wanted $2000 for it. But,the only thing it was good for was looking at,and starting it up once in a while. I wonder how many hours those littler engines will run before they wear out?

There was an old guy who made a perfect,operational Deusenberg car with operating engine anbd transmission. I missed seeing it,except for pictures,though. Must have taken many years to make that car,wire wheels and all. It was a magnificent piece of work.

For every one of those super finished projects there are an unknown number of barely begun or stopped somewhere in the middle projects. One of the Model Engineer exhibitions I attended in London in the late 1970's had an interesting one-off heavy-duty truck model for sale. I think it was about three feet long and the cab and chassis was near finished with excellent detail. But there were small boxes of parts that included a multi-cylinder engine block and various parts of the engine. It looked like the plan was to make it a running engine. So, someone had died or otherwise had to stop working on it. It makes me appreciate the amazing finished stuff even more, knowing that there is more to finishing the project than just fine skill.

The Sherline lathe company has a museum and a website with neat models, including engines. http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

They have a large collection of small machines, from toys to really good stuff. http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/oldmachines.htm

Larry

You can see many engines at the Cabin Fever Expo in Pa. every year.

One old guy built a perfect model 12 cylinder Merlin engine. Now,THAT was cool!

I passed up a beautiful model sprint race car about 18" long,wth a 4 cylinder gas engine in it. It sounded just like a REAL race car. How he got those deep tones out of that engine was great! He only wanted $2000 for it. But,the only thing it was good for was looking at,and starting it up once in a while. I wonder how many hours those littler engines will run before they wear out?

There was an old guy who made a perfect,operational Deusenberg car with operating engine anbd transmission. I missed seeing it,except for pictures,though. Must have taken many years to make that car,wire wheels and all. It was a magnificent piece of work.

I have seen pictures in one of the model engine magazines, of a couple of the Merlin engine projects out there.
Pretty sure someone posted a link to the Deusenberg project on here a few years back.

That Sprint car by a fella named Riggle, by chance?

Saw Riggle's car at the Estevan Model Engineering Show in Saskatchewan.
What a noise!

If so, the story goes that they ran the car with a RC control, down a runway, driving it from the passenger seat of a van as chaser.

When they got to 100 MPH on the speedo, He punched the throttle wide open on his car, and the model walked away from the van like it was parked.

Cheers
Trev

Back