What's new
What's new

Cost to fill a propane forklift tank ?

Admin5

Administrator
Staff member
Typiclal size for a 5K LP forklift, I think about 30 gallons ? I just paid $22 to fill an empty tank...which seems high to me, considering the glut of propane in the market right now. I should think around $18 would be more in line...what say ye ?

Milacron

Had 1 filled in Dec. $27.00
Yikes.... maybe I'm off base then.... but that's why I posted, to find out. This was at our local KOA campground btw...but the more "official" gas place in town charges the same thing. The campground is a more pleasant experience at least :)

While we're on this subject, the campground guy told me something I'd not heard before...that there is a law now that they can't fill tanks over 12 years old unless they have certification papers !! (Mine was dated 2000 so I just made the cut) Is that a national law or local ?

Milacron

My truck runs on petrol & LPG

Last LPG fill 2 weeks back was £0.73 / Litre = $0.45 / litre = $1.70 / US gallon (if I've got my conversion right;))

My truck runs on petrol & LPG

Last LPG fill 2 weeks back was £0.73 / Litre = $0.45 / litre = $1.70 / US gallon (if I've got my conversion right;))
Hmm....maybe a forklift tank holds 30 pounds then and not 30 gallons.... I know the thing wouldn't hold 5 gallons of regular liquid but I presumed it was 30 compressed gallons. Can someone clear this up ? :willy_nilly:

AFAIK (and yes I'm about to be proved wrong) LPG becomes a liquid when pressurised and once a liquid, increased pressure does not alter it's volume at a given temperature.

Which I can only assume is why our trading standards etc etc etc decree LPG road fuel is sold by liquid volume.

AFAIK there is only one Popular Forklift tank. Without going to the shop to read the numbers I can't give the capacity...But I seem to recall 40 Lbs capacity...

Mine are usually $22.5 + sales tax.

I remember 3 size cylinders-20# which is shorter but same diameter and a 33-1/3# and a 40 something #. there used to be a Small 14# but haven't seen one in years.

Just saw a sign at the local hardware store today regarding the 12 year limit, therefore i'm assuming national.

I wonder if this is our politicians hard at work stimulating the economy by forcing new tank sales?

Extrapolating here but if a steel tank can have an expiration date, how long before there is one on, let's say, our vehicles? Or our machines? :angry:

knn

Extrapolating here but if a steel tank can have an expiration date, how long before there is one on, let's say, our vehicles? Or our machines?

Trust me, you want an agency or an entity ensuring that pressure vessels are safe.

If not, PM would have tons of "Boss wants me to make a submarine" threads.

I saw that 12 year sign the other day. One of the guys was talking about always swapping out his tank so that he did end up with an expired one.

They could just give him on that would expire in a month or 2?

JAckal:cheers:

Tank Expiration Dates

I beleive the expiration datesd are in place due to the constant pressurizing and depressurizing that the tanks go thru. Scuba tanks are under same restrictions.

Ron

US Dot

Us Dot requires any pressure vessal that transports on the highway any flammable liquids to be hydrotested and recertified every 12 years, my propane guy even has a go-nogo gage for dent sizes.... the tank in your yard is sort of exempt, until it leaves and is then retransported to a new customer. I have seen thirty year old 1000 gal. tanks, but they get Eyeballed now and then by the service company. Not sure about vehicle LP or LNG tanks, but I gotta believe they get tested too! The LNG tanks are about 3600 psi, going down the road just waiting for an accident, and they are fibre glas, Scary thought.

I just paid $1.948 a gallon here in MI. for Lp. It was $2.37 a couple of years ago.

"Trust me, you want an agency or an entity ensuring that pressure vessels are safe."

So I'm guessing LP tanks on forklifts and BBQ grills are recent innovations.....

Or did the "entity" in charge of our safety just get around to figuring out that these restrictions should apply to these pressure vessels?

Get the point?

I'm not disagreeing with the need for safety but I question why it took so long to figure out.

knn

Or did the "entity" in charge of our safety just get around to figuring out that these restrictions should apply to these pressure vessels?

It's not a recent innovation, I've had to replace my grill tanks a couple of times in the past 30 years. I've also had to get my propane tanks for my Namco forklift pressure checked and recertified a few times.
If you look at your tank, you should see a date stamped on it.

BTW, got a grill tank refilled last Monday, and it was 19.50, or so.
Harry

I just paid $3.47 a gallon for almost 200 gallons of propane. I checked around and it was the best price I could get. I find it funny that around here they charge by what the area will bear. I used to buy from a supplier who drove 24 miles from Tahoe to deliver me propane and I was paying 40 cents a gallon less that the locals who were within 5 miles of the distributor. I think they know when they got you by the short hair.

My tank is a 287 gallon, 250 usable and was built in 1948. Always wondered about it being so old but it doesn't seem to bother the propane companies as long as they have a place to hook their hose to so they can charge you an outragious price.

"My tank is a 287 gallon, 250 usable and was built in 1948. Always wondered about it being so old but it doesn't seem to bother the propane companies as long as they have a place to hook their hose to so they can charge you an outragious price."

My point exactly.

BTW, filled a 20# grill tank today, $17.99 which includes 7% state sales tax.

knn

Just saw a sign at the local hardware store today regarding the 12 year limit, therefore i'm assuming national.

knn

I remember getting my parents grill tank refilled and they were doing the date test. This was in the mid 80's in Pennsylvania. They refused to fill the customer ahead of me because his tank was from the 1960's... he was hopping mad because he claimed that he had just bought the grill brand new with that tank that summer.

Back