What's new
What's new

Could I get a education on why their are several types of arc rod and about 2 mig?

I suggest that you take some welding courses or hire a welding engineer.

.035 what? And, it does not do everything!
100 options on rod? I think you're off by a factor of at least 10.

I know a good welding engineer in Owatana.
JR

For starters, they are two different welding processes.

With MIG, the shield gas acts as the shield and flux.There is also flux coated wire which eliminates the use of the shield gas but then you have a flux that must be removed when the weld is complete. This usually just falls off if the weld process is setup correctly.

With stick, the electrode coating becomes the shield and flux.

With MIG, there are different wire alloys that should be matched to the base metal.
With stick, there are different flux coatings and filler alloys. These must be matched to the conditions, base metal, and weld position.

Stick welding is traditionally constant current. Mig is usually constant voltage. This cause differences in arc characteristics, weld flow, and base metal heat transfer.

With stick, you match the weld rod size to the heat you need.

With MIG, you can vary the voltage, current, and even the weld mode such as short circuit vs. spray transfer.

MIG wire dia. is somewhat limited by the gun and wire feeder. There are other sizes available than the standard .035 and .045.

For doing heavy weldments, stick and subarc are both popular processes as they have the ability to deposit much more weld material per minute or hour than a traditional MIG setup unless you go to multiple wire feeders.

This is just a very short summary. For more read a good welding book. There is a lot to this.

If I go to the welding store I can get mig wire er70 or flux core basically 2 sizes. .023 or.035 .
If I want arc welding filler rods. I can get tons of choices.
If I want torch welding rod, I have one choice.

There are many different fluxes used for stick welding. The fluxes often contain the alloys that mix in the puddle to form a special grade of deposit. It is very handy to have a wide variety of rods to tackle any job, quickly and efficiently.

It is a comparative big PITA to get a special spool of mig wire to do some crazy ass project with, although I've seen some guys who think they can mig anything together with plain wire.

If I go to the welding store I can get mig wire er70 or flux core basically 2 sizes. .023 or.035 .

You need a better welding store. I doubt if you can find many stick rods that do not have an equivalent in a mig wire somewhere.

Keep in mind its possible to sell 1 stick rod. But there is a practical limit on how small an amount the packaging on wire can accommodate. The more specialty wires for mig tend to be for industrial processes and are purchased by the pallet or barrel.

I suggest that you take some welding courses or hire a welding engineer.

.035 what? And, it does not do everything!
100 options on rod? I think you're off by a factor of at least 10.

I know a good welding engineer in Owatana.
JR[/QUOT

That was helpfull , perhaps you missed where I was hoping to be educated on the forum.

depends on store. you can special order many type of mig filler wire usually for mild steel alone there is type e70s-2, e70s-3, e70s-4 and e70s-6 and in sizes .023, .030, .035, .045 at least in sizes, not to mention 2 lb roll 10 lb roll and 44 lb roll
you can go to 100 stores and if they only carry one of anything that does not mean there is only one type

For starters, they are two different welding processes.

With MIG, the shield gas acts as the shield and flux.There is also flux coated wire which eliminates the use of the shield gas but then you have a flux that must be removed when the weld is complete. This usually just falls off if the weld process is setup correctly.

With stick, the electrode coating becomes the shield and flux.

With MIG, there are different wire alloys that should be matched to the base metal.
With stick, there are different flux coatings and filler alloys. These must be matched to the conditions, base metal, and weld position.

Stick welding is traditionally constant current. Mig is usually constant voltage. This cause differences in arc characteristics, weld flow, and base metal heat transfer.

With stick, you match the weld rod size to the heat you need.

With MIG, you can vary the voltage, current, and even the weld mode such as short circuit vs. spray transfer.

MIG wire dia. is somewhat limited by the gun and wire feeder. There are other sizes available than the standard .035 and .045.
For doing heavy weldments, stick and subarc are both popular processes as they have the ability to deposit much more weld material per minute or hour than a traditional MIG setup unless you go to multiple wire feeders.

This is just a very short summary. For more read a good welding book. There is a lot to this.

Thanks you.

If that's all your welding store supplies, then you need a different welding supply vendor. No matter what process you use; gas, stick, tig, mig, you need to match the filler material alloy to what you are welding. There are a lot of special purpose materials available for doing hard facing, welding difficult materials, and specific weld process requirements.

Again you need to get a good welding handbook and read up on this to get a good understanding.

That was helpfull , perhaps you missed where I was hoping to be educated on the forum.[/QUOTE]

YOU posted it in the machining forum. There is a welding forum slightly down the page....

I suggest you try weldingweb.com

If that's all your welding store supplies, then you need a different welding supply vendor. No matter what process you use; gas, stick, tig, mig, you need to match the filler material alloy to what you are welding. There are a lot of special purpose materials available for doing hard facing, welding difficult materials, and specific weld process requirements.

Again you need to get a good welding handbook and read up on this to get a good understanding.

Any fav book???

The Lincoln Welding Foundation was set up to promote welding and has many helpful publications and DVDs. They sell them very cheaply, to promote welding of course, but they are not too biased towards their own products. I have bought many of them, they are pretty good.

Here's the link: Education and Design Aids

Miller also has many free welding guides available for free download: https://www.millerwelds.com/resources

Back