What's new
What's new

could i get some help? breaking tools inserts mazak quick turn 250 on stainless

Roy Clyde

Plastic
Mazak quick turn 250. cutting 304 stainless steel. tool insert life horrible after a few parts insert chips and brakes. 1.25 304 ss bar (id cut is 1.127), (depth is .28 cut) (.015 passes) (rpm 2000) 1.25 cut 0ff. tool is kennametal screw - down steel boring bar. lucky to get 25 parts.id threader also has problems and cutoff problems. Mazak code below. any help would be great

20170821_110932.jpg

Mazak quick turn 250. cutting 304 stainless steel. tool insert life horrible after a few parts insert chips and brakes. 1.25 304 ss bar (id cut is 1.127), (depth is .28 cut) (.015 passes) (rpm 2000) 1.25 cut 0ff. tool is kennametal screw - down steel boring bar. lucky to get 25 parts.id threader also has problems and cutoff problems. Mazak code below. any help would be great

View attachment 206323

2000 rpm on 1.25 dia 304 SS in my opinion thats way to fast a rpm

I agree to fast. Your making a lot of heat and thusly a lot of work hardening is most likely going on. I would check your insert after a couple parts to see what is happening to the edge over time. That will be a good gauge

I would turn down the speed, and up the feed rate. Wish you guys would use metric, would be so much easier to read the feeds and speed.
Surfce speed around 120mm/min would work for me.
Is that feed rate really 0.003/rev thats like 0.07mm /rev and its way slow.

Marko

Last edited:
I would turn down the speed, and up the feed rate. Wish you guys would use metric, would be so much easier to read the feeds and speed.
Surfce speed around 120mm/min would work for me.
Is that feed rate really 0.003/rev thats like 0.07mm /rev and its way slow.

Marko

I hate it when people post stuff in metric. So much easier in imperial.. Not that I don't
understand metric, or that I don't know how to do the conversions, but when it comes to
machining, its 99% imperial here, so that is what my brain is used to.

As for the feed, it really depends on what insert you are using. I've found in work hardening
material, that low feeds let you get away with a lot of stuff, like high speeds and big depths,
and wide and deep cuts when milling.

FIRST thing I would do is up the depth of cut. at .015, that's a ton of passes, and that's a lot
of wear on the tip.. triple that to .050 or so, and then maybe drop the speed back to 200sfm or so.
THAT is were *I* would start..

On the low feed thing. There are a couple of parts I make out of 13-8, and the shit is just
miserable. Turning, you simply CAN NOT break a chip, so you end up with birds nests all over the place,
and then crunch your shoulder and everything goes to shit. My 13-8 turning method now is 1 roughing
pass, and one finish.. For the one roughing pass, say .180doc (4.5mm) and feed of .0016" per rev. (0.04mm).
Works like a charm.. YES, One thou and Six tenths, its like the magic #.

13-8 DOES NOT LIKE A HEAVY CHIP. And I can usually take my 13-8 #'s and use them on 304.. I don't do
a lot of 304, so its more about getting it done instead of getting it done fast.. More mill than lathe.

One last question for the OP.. Are you using an insert that is designed for stainless? That
can make all the difference in the world.

:skep: "120mm/min" = 4.725 IPM!! Even if you meant Meters (or Metres) instead of mm, that is a ways off either way. Must be my mistake somewhere, just trying to figure you N-EU people out.
Typo most obviously. His brain probably overloaded with inches ;)

Edit: 120m/min way off? Isn't that already crawling speed compared to "box recommendations"? Not much my cup of tea but I remember having a box of sandvik insers with recommended speeds in 160-220m/min range

Typo most obviously. His brain probably overloaded with inches ;)

Edit: 120m/min way off? Isn't that already crawling speed compared to "box recommendations"? Not much my cup of tea but I remember having a box of sandvik insers with recommended speeds in 160-220m/min range

Okay thought I was losing it.

But no, 120 meters a minute is moving. I recommend 175 Feet per minute about the circumference--SFPM. There are 3.28 feet in 1 meter. so 120*3.28=390 Feet. Not unheard of for 304 but definitely way faster than I run it.

R

Whoopsie, thats what you get typing on the phone. Yeah 120m.
well I work in metric and your imperial units are like chinese to me. Don't use them so looking at your programs and speeds is very frustrating.

So I'm mostly just watching the conversation and not saying much.

Marko

Back