What's new
What's new

OT: Need Travel Info in PA & NY on I-81 & I-84

morsetaper2

Diamond
I am travelling Fri morning heading N on 15 out of MD to I-81 at Harrisburg, PA then onto Scranton, PA on I-81. At Scranton, take I-84 into NY through Newburg, Waterbury, Danbury into Hartford, CT.

Will be travelling this route late Friday morning. Hitting Scranton at around 11am, hoping to arrive in Hartford by 3PM.

PA is famous for screwed up roads, what is travel like on these routes at the times I posted in PA & NY these days? Any major construction issues?

Just trying to avoid the traffic debacles I've experienced in NJ-NY-CT on I-95 in past drives. Thinking the northern route will be a better drive. Any comments?

Thanks, Mark

84 in the NY area is pretty good.

As soon as you pass into CT (at exit 2, just
past the truck stop) there is a really nice
rest area.

Traffic around hartford will be tolerably heavy
around three, that's basically rush hour. Take
it easy and you'll be OK.

Jim

I agree with Jim.
The rest area in Conn is a real good place to get off, streach your legs and walk in the shade of some big, big trees. If you can plan ahead, have a little snack lunch and unwind from a testy trip across NY. I don't know what the speed limit is but be aware your lic plate stands out quite well in NY. They never seemed to bother me in Conn. Best advise in Conn is to try to stay out of their way.
Have a safe one and slow down on the hill going into Wilkes-Barre. Ofcourse, my Michigan lic plate stands out real well in Penna. Even though I lived in the Harrisburg area, them Penna State Troopers don't seem to care where I used to live. Fact of the matter is I lived in Mechanicsburg, not far from the junction of Penna Turnpike and Route 15.
Regards Walt..

I84 in NY will probably be loaded with State Troopers, as the college kids are starting to head back to school. You're not going on it, but I684 in NY running between I287 and I84 is another hot spot. My daughter's a college senior, frequently making the run from L.I. to Poughkeepsie and tells me where the troopers hang out. Have a safe trip.
Bob

There is some construction on 84 east of Waterbury so there could be some backups. If you are through there by 3 you should be ok.

Any later then that and you will start hitting the weekend vacation traffic.

I-81 eastbound was backed-up badly near Danville last weekend, and I encountered a few other minor delays. Westbound, on the return trip from NY, was clear going. Kim Steiner

When you get within range of NY radio, tune to WCBS 880. Traffic reports every 10 minutes on the 8's.

Traffic in Hartford can be a bear at rush hour, but if you are only going in and not out the other side, you should be OK,

Occasional speed trap after exit 11 on 84 in CT. They sit on the median.

If you are at exit 15 in CT around lunch, go to Denmos. Great drive in burger joint. Be sure to get the home-made onion rings. At the bottom of the ramp, take a left under the highway, then another left onto the main drag. It's on the right about 1/2 mile or so down.

Steve

All through scenic PA you will encounter potholes,gorges and bomb craters in the road, men at work signs but no men at work, signs saying keep left or hand for no reason, traffic merged into one-lane miles and miles before the alledged construction site. "Your taxs dollars at work, temporary innconvience, permanent improvement", signs are my favorite. :D
Good luck, add an extra 6 hours to get through PA.

Now be nice, Pa is now number 49 on the list of good roads, lost the 50th slot which it has proudly held for 8 years. We hope to reclaim next year.

Back