What's new
What's new

Dovebid Question? OT

Unless you bid on an item you will not get amonts that were bid. If you watch the final minutes of the auction the listing will show the progress of the bidding.
re

The prices listed is BEFORE the 16% buyers premium and you had to have a liscensed rigger remove the equipment. As menrioned before, I got the Drill press shown($350.00) and another one($50.00 before premium) + $685.00 Rigging fee. Kevin

So can you show up with a pallet jack and pull it out yourself?
From my experiences, it it is OK to use NONPOWERED devices to remove purchases from auctions, without a liability certificate.

I always thought the million- dollar liability deal was a scam, until a few years ago.. I had bought some items at an auction, and was standing at a table, talking to a guy that worked for the auction company..Out of nowhere, a forklift truck hit me, I fell & was hit again, and pushed for a ways across the floor, before onlookers ran and made the driver stop.. The guy driving the lift got off & said that it was not his fault, that he could not see where he was going.. :rolleyes: This guy was obviously slow, I am sure that he rode a short bus to school, if he ever even attended. I now have to live with a bummed-up knee, due to his stupidity. I could have & should have sued the heck out of that auction Co, but that is not my style. Since that incident, I now see the logic behind the liability policy issue..

Mark,
Dovebid handled the disposal of a bunch of stuff in a Square D plant up here about a year and a half ago. I spent about half a day looking and making notes prior to the auction. I don't think any of the on-site companies could've ended up with a better gross than Dovebid did. But, the total came not from the nice stuff going high but rather from the worn out stuff bringing way more than it would have in a live auction.

About a dozen series I BP's brought $3000 to $4000 apiece. A couple of them decent but not what you'd call nice, and the rest just straight rebuild fodder with worn out screws and visible heavy wear. The 2 decent ones brought middle of the pack prices, indicating to me none of the bidders had actually looked beforehand. If they had, they'd have known part of these mills were 575 volt models.

Great deal on a like new Okamoto 12x30 surface grinder at about $8K. OTOH, the worn out Hardinge HLV's with nothing but a chuck brought about 90% of what a couple of fully tooled nice ones brought.

Late model injection molding machines went real cheap, while measurement and inspection equipment that showed the typical evidence of being "company owned" tools brought way more than it was worth.

My overall impression from that particular sale is that Asset or Bowling or anyone with a good mailing list could get you far more money for a shop full of nice stuff than you'd ever get via an online sale. But, if you had a mix of nice and not so nice then you'd do far better to sell off the nice and liquidate the not-so-nice online. In the case of the Square D auction, it became obvious real fast that you could look at an item, ask yourself whether or not it was desirable at the hobbyist level, and have a real good idea of whether it would go high or low with no regard whatsoever to its actual condition.

Added.... In Square D's case, I think they really screwed up in putting the injection molding machines in the online sale. There was about a half dozen of them, all new enough that they hardly even showed signs of wear from normal use like paint scratches, etc. Guessing at the weight, based on moving more Van Dorns than I care to remember, they didn't bring much more than twice the current scrap price.

Late model injection molding machines went real cheap, while measurement and inspection equipment that showed the typical evidence of being "company owned" tools brought way more than it was worth.
Yes, I remember hearing about the molding machines going for a song at Sq.D. Seems most only brought 1000 to 1500 dollars.

I was just curious about the Dovebid sales, there is one coming up across the hiway from us at a plant that is closing.

Back