What's new
What's new

Criterion Boring Head

sen2two

Aluminum
I have a 3.00" Criterion Boring Head. The square body type for a .750" boring bar.

The adjustable part (lower half) has become very loose. I can wiggle it easily with my hand. No other noticeable damage. I havnt dropped or abused it. I'm unsure on how to fix this. Anyone here with experience in this?

I think there are small set screws for the gibbs

but you may find a manual if you do a search on the Gooogle

post a couple pics

Figured it out...

Ths 3 set screws on the side. The outer most ones should have a locking nut. This keeps the side body (gib plate i guess) tight. The center set screw gets no locking nut and does the job of locking the adjustment.

I have never seen a Criterion with nuts on set screws. I always ran them snugged up, never locked down. I have seen them where somebody had locked them down and left divots in them. When you would get close to that spot, the divot try would pull the screw into that spot making them hard to adjust correctly.

Attachments

• boring head.jpg
    boring head.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 104
Last I heard, Criterion says to leave the outside gib screws alone once set and use the center to lock/unlock. I've found it essential to lock the slide with the center screw to facilitate consistent performance.

I have never seen a Criterion with nuts on set screws. I always ran them snugged up, never locked down. I have seen them where somebody had locked them down and left divots in them. When you would get close to that spot, the divot try would pull the screw into that spot making them hard to adjust correctly.

That is what I don't like about stock set screws. They have a small cup on the end. When locking down the cup will grind into the opposing metal surface like a drill. Not a bad idea if you are locking down a flywheel on a shaft forever. Otherwise you get circular dents. On some sliding mechanisms which are nice and shiny I turned down the points of the set screws and inserted a small disk of teflon or aluminium into the set screw hole. I don't think I would do it for my two Criterions.

Last I heard, Criterion says to leave the outside gib screws alone once set and use the center to lock/unlock. I've found it essential to lock the slide with the center screw to facilitate consistent performance.

My 20 year old instructions say just this. I don’t remember the set screws making divots on the sliding parts. Maybe the back side of the gib but not the sliding area. Using center set screw of a gibbed slide works on your lathe as well, old trick still works good.

My 20 year old instructions say just this. I don’t remember the set screws making divots on the sliding parts. Maybe the back side of the gib but not the sliding area. Using center set screw of a gibbed slide works on your lathe as well, old trick still works good.

They don't have gibs as we know them. The dovetail on one side has a cut behind it. The set screws hit this to tighten it without damage to the sliding areas.

They don't have gibs as we know them. The dovetail on one side has a cut behind it. The set screws hit this to tighten it without damage to the sliding areas.

Thanks for that clarification. I wasn’t near mine to take a closer look. In any case the gib screws do not contact the sliding parts or the boring head.

As I recall the instructions with the Criterion boring heads say to tighten the outside set screws first when setting the bar. Then the center set screw. To fine adjust loosen/tighten the center set screw only for repeatability. Loosening/tightening all three at once can really mess with repeatability when you're trying to adjust a few tenths.

They don't have to be super tight. On the smaller heads we would snug up the set screws then put a finger on the allen wrench and press down until the wrench started to bend. You'll just have to use judgment on larger heads/wrenches. All you're doing is pushing the gib sideways to hold the dovetail on the movable piece.

+1 on using slugs on the generic style bars. A set screw digs into the cutter body and "self centers" when trying to adjust a few thousandths. We used steel slugs from the punch press shop. They held up better than aluminum in our situation.

Back