What's new
What's new

Custom Arbor Mounted / Horizontal Milling Cutters - Looking for vendors

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Who is left making custom Arbor Mounted / Horizontal / Double Angle / Whatever Mills these days? I can easily have shanked, solid carbide mills made, but I really want arbor type mills for what I have in mind. So is there anyone left that makes them? And to order? I would supply whatever ( DXF is most common but can supply models ) they would desire for geometry reference. Ideally, solid carbide would be great, but even brazed tip or HSS would be acceptable. I just want to find a good, capable vendor for them.

Fig8-8.gif
angle-inner.jpg

AlfredLyon on IG grinds some pretty good looking work, have you checked him?

Yes, I am _very_ familiar with Alf, Jon, Larry, Quan, and Lizz, to name but a few. They do wonderful work and we use them when we have need. But they only do shanked mills. I have asked about arbor mills in the past.
( plus it's fun for me to reminisce about my own time as a grind hand when speaking with Alf )

Moon Cutter would be one, but I don't know what limitations they might have on form cutter profiles.

Ooh. That looks promising. Thank you. RFQ sent in to them this morning.

During the evening, I did later remember that I asked RobbJack about this a year or more ago but the price was exceptionally high in my estimation. Enough, so as to not be a real consideration.

For what it is worth ( and without going into the nitty gritty details ) the "form" I want to have made in exceedingly simple and already exists in some basic manner. I simply need dimensional changes that necessitate making a new cutter. They cannot be ground from existing stock. That is all I can say about that. :cool:

Yes, I am _very_ familiar with Alf, Jon, Larry, Quan, and Lizz, to name but a few. They do wonderful work and we use them when we have need. But they only do shanked mills. I have asked about arbor mills in the past.
( plus it's fun for me to reminisce about my own time as a grind hand when speaking with Alf )
I figured as much. I'm interested to see what Moon says; I've always had good luck with their off the shelf tools.

Back