What's new
What's new

Buying a Grizzly G0519, some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

marka

Plastic
Howdy,

I've committed to buy a "nearly new" Grizzly G0519 RF-45 clone, along with an included phase converter or VFD (I'm not sure which it is and haven't seen the mill with my own eyes yet). Pretty much nothing else is included. Luckily I have a good bit of R8 tooling already from tooling up for when I borrow mill time at a local school my wife teaches at.

I've done some searching around, but thought I'd ask a few questions I haven't seen direct answers for.

As part of checking it out, I plan to make sure there's oil in the gearbox via the sight glass, then running it through the gears forward and reverse looking/listening for weirdness. I'll also run the table and headstock full travel to see if there are tight spots or anything else odd. Any other checks I should do? Are there any known weak points with these mills?

Will the tapping function work when running the mill on a phase converter or VFD? This is mostly an "I'm curious" question vs. anything else, as I could always do tapping with a tapping head, right? The VFD would seem to add some speed control advantages.

Will the horizontal power feeds I see like this one shars.com - Mill Drill Table Power Feed For JET Machine or similar units on Ebay just bolt on and work, or will they need modification?

I plan to get a vice (6"?) & rotary table (8"?) w/chuck. Any recommendations on particular ones that are good and don't break the bank?

Are there any inexpensive (say $150 or less?) stands that are decent, or should I plan on making my own? I'm fine with making my own, but if I can buy a good one for not too much money, I'd rather spend that time making other stuff.

Thanks for any help!

Mark

Howdy,

Oh... Forgot to mention, though its probably clear anyway... This is for home shop use, not everyday production.

Mark

Howdy,

Does the RF-45 not qualify as a "Larger and/or higher quality Asian machine that might be used in manufacturing or job shop setting"?

No, I don't think so. While the size of the table is comparable to some smaller BPs the skinny column lacks the rigidity of a proper vertical mill. I think you would not get a very good finish face milling a block of 12L14 steel.

-DU-

First, let's separate out the actual questions.
1.) Generally it is recommended (search the archives, it's a common Q) that if the pieces you intend to work on are generally small, a dividing head offers more flexibility for different processes, and usually better workholding options. OTOH, if the work pieces will generally be "medium sized" or larger, an 8" rotab is too small. Start with a 10" if you can lift it or arrange easy use of it. The real estate gets used up fast merely by clamps and fixturing.

2.) the table feed unit looks fine in specs. 135 ftlb is plenty, especially since that leadscrew is probably 10tpi (as opposed to 8 or 4). However, the best place to ask specific Q's is with Shars since they advertise it for the purpose you propose and are likely (or should be) familiar with the G-machines.

As far as the machine, doesn't Paula use one like that on the South Bend forum? (Go to South Bend forum, and search posts by the moderator, Paula, to get a perspective) I used a round column model for some 20 years (still use it as a second machine) to do all sorts of milling, turning and shaping. No one would buy one with the intent of commercial machine shop work, but quite a bit of commercial work has been done on them. I make my planes on one, for instance, as well as quite a few aircraft and motorcycle parts over the years, and lots and lots of woodworking and machine tool cutterbodies and tooling.

The machine will do work mostly commensurate with the operators ability and his ability to tune the machine up a bit. Search the archives for answers to common questions, and post pictures of work or work in progress. I don't think anyone has problems with projects, regardless the machines they are done on.

But yeah, I'm kind of worried about Don by now, too! :D

smt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back