What's new
What's new

Flanged band saw wheel problems

Ken hosford

Cast Iron
I had to do this 25 years ago on a #8 Marvel and again just recently on a F14 wells saw . If the saws a set up wrong they will wear the flanges of the wheels , two things happen they will not wrear all the way leaving taper on the rim where the blade rides and they will wear to the point where the teeth are riding on the rim crushing the set out . On the Marvel we turned a arbor in a end mill holder and used a 50 taper horizontal mill as a lathe and cleaned up wheel then shrunk a ring on it and remachined it . This time my horizontal mill is not up and running yet so I removed non drive wheel adjustable mount and clamped it in the vise of a vertical mill mounted the wheel and turned it by hand with very light cuts from a end mill , it should have been a 2 person job but no one handy to help . I remachined just were the new flang would go then rolled up out of cold rolled 2 rings 1 was half inch wide the other 3/8 wide [ that is how much was worn of the flanges] then rolled pieces 6+ " to long rapped them around and scribed them shooting for .06 - .09 gap . I gas welded them with no rod but burned in deep all the way around after hammering welds flat I drove them over the taper left leading into the flats I machined on wheel then remachined the wheels . After installing the wheels I found I needed to straighten frame of saw to be able to get the blades to track without rubbing . For the life of me I can not understand how someone could run the saw long enough to almost wear the flanges of completely , because I could not cut through thick stock with out blade binding and slipping of the drive wheel . the other thing I did was to tap holes in id ring drive gear and flip it over so as to drive on unworn side of teeth because previous owners some time back ran it with excessive back lash causing ugly wear half way out on teeth . I thought others may learn something from my experiences and find it useful . I believe in setting blade tracking with dial indicator by setting it so it has no indicator movement while raising or lowering saw . These actions took a piece of s---- saw and got it cutting quite well . This was after replacing shot guide bearings . Good luck to all you with saw problems

Back