What's new
What's new

Water Jet

Dcrouch

Cast Iron
Has anybody heard of or done any engraving with a water jet? This question was asked of me and since it really isn't my area, I thought I'd throw it out here.

Dana

Has anybody heard of or done any engraving with a water jet? This question was asked of me and since it really isn't my area, I thought I'd throw it out here.

Dana

Dana

It can somewhat do it. You have to make it move really fast so that it will only touch the surface of the material. It's not the precision and cleanliness of a real engraving machine though so it really depends on the engraving required.

It can somewhat do it. You have to make it move really fast so that it will only touch the surface of the material. It's not the precision and cleanliness of a real engraving machine though so it really depends on the engraving required.

I wasn't sure if you could adjust the pressure accurately enough to just etch the surface instead of blasting through like normal.

Dana

I wasn't sure if you could adjust the pressure accurately enough to just etch the surface instead of blasting through like normal.

Dana

Dana

It always seemed to me that these machines worked at full pressure all the time and that only the feed rate was adjusted according to the thickness and material type. But maybe some machines do have an adjustment, I never saw it.

If you lower the pressure, the speed of the jet gets lower and so the cutting gets much slower, accuracy would also go down I think.

It always seemed to me that these machines worked at full pressure all the time and that only the feed rate was adjusted according to the thickness and material type. But maybe some machines do have an adjustment, I never saw it.

If you lower the pressure, the speed of the jet gets lower and so the cutting gets much slower, accuracy would also go down I think.

i would think the back splash would kill any accuracy. it'd be like engraving with a cutting torch, plasma pierce, laser pierce etc....... you know how the piercing hole looks compared to the cut line

i would think the back splash would kill any accuracy. it'd be like engraving with a cutting torch, plasma pierce, laser pierce etc....... you know how the piercing hole looks compared to the cut line

Back