Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ray Behner
  • 3 Post By Ray Behner
  • 1 Post By Cyclotronguy

Thread: Cutting 5'' hole with Val-Cut trepanner

Ray Behner is online now Titanium

Default Video-Cutting 5'' hole with Val-Cut trepanner

Had a pile of 3/8 plates that needed a 5'' hole. Thought I'd show you the last .100" of the cut with a Val-Cut. It bird nests pretty good, but doesn't interfere with the cut. This is about 180 rpm. Takes about 2 / 3 minutes per piece.

Val-Cut trepanning 5'' hole - YouTube
    Last edited by Ray Behner; 09-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    John Welden likes this.

rke[pler is offline Diamond

Fun video, thanks! I thought all of the Val-Cut tools were HSS? At 235 fpm a HSS tool isn't going to last very long so you must have a carbide tool in there. When I use mine I bump the feed once in a while so I don't get a wad of chips scrubbing the work - plus it's easier to clean the tool for the next cut.

Limy Sami is online now Diamond

What feed / rev Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by rke[pler View Post
    Fun video, thanks! I thought all of the Val-Cut tools were HSS? At 235 fpm a HSS tool isn't going to last very long so you must have a carbide tool in there. When I use mine I bump the feed once in a while so I don't get a wad of chips scrubbing the work - plus it's easier to clean the tool for the next cut.
    Yup, I generally clear the chips more often, but for the sake of a short download, I didn't. That is a HSS cutter. It was used quite a bit before these cuts and there were 6 of them. Still cuts like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    What feed / rev Ray?
    Don't really know Limy. I was spinning it about 180, but just yanking on the handle to where it felt right. Yeah, I know....that's what she said.

usmachine is offline Stainless

Thanks for the video Ray. Did you buy that new or on the "secondary" market. Thanks, Doug

daryl bane is online now Stainless

I bought one years ago and have always been pleasantly surprised at how well it works. Even with the extra extension bar all the way out, it just waltzes thru plate with a chatterless, comforting hiss.

Doug,
    I bought it new from Penn Tool maybe 10 years ago.

Daryl,
    You're right. I've got the 8" bar with the cutter clamp. Cuts some big holes! Also have the one for the lathe. I'ts just as good.

usmachine is offline Stainless

Thanks Ray, I just bought one from them this morning after watching the video. Great to know I found a good place. Regards, Doug

thermite is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Behner View Post
    Doug,
    I bought it new from Penn Tool maybe 10 years ago.

Daryl,
    You're right. I've got the 8" bar with the cutter clamp. Cuts some big holes! Also have the one for the lathe. I'ts just as good.
    Side-issue anomaly, Ray, but..

...'bout an hour or so ago, a search on 'Val-Cut trepanner' brought up but four hits - some kind of record for sparse returns.

Epecially since one was to an earlier PM article, another referenced said article, the third was a 2011 eBay sale that seems to have used a chunk of YOUR video.

ONE hit only found a French, not Swiss-French, firm actually selling the full kit, head, both bars, set of cutters, cased. Didn't bother calculating the FOREX rates, but North of $500 US.

Anyone know if these have gone clear off the market? Or just been re-branded so the original name has submerged?

Bill

Cyclotronguy is offline Hot Rolled

Val cut is an othewise un-remarkable high rake tool that the folks at SPI had on the market for what seems like 30 years. And yes they do work really well.

Grab a chunk of M2.... emulate the angles........ load it up in your boring bar, fly cutter etc of choice and "go to town". The old SPI catalogs as I recall showed the cutter in enough detail that one could likely duplicate from the photo's.

Something like 7 degrees clearance........ 15 degrees of back rake and the cutter presented at a slight angle such that if there is any spring in the system the cutter backs out of the cut rather than digs in.

Similar concept to the old goose-neck tools for planers...... for those of us who remember planers. And like those old planer tools the magic was in that they don't dig in and chatter..... just before they break.

Cyclotronguy
    thermite likes this.

rklopp is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Side-issue anomaly, Ray, but..

...'bout an hour or so ago, a search on 'Val-Cut trepanner' brought up but four hits - some kind of record for sparse returns.

Bill
    There used to be a game to try to get google to return a single hit, called a "googleplex." Googleplexes used to be occasional, but now I think google knows so much about practically everything, they may be next to extinct. I wonder if anyone has done the math to find out the frequency of googolplexes, two-hitters, three-hitters, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclotronguy View Post
    Val cut is an othewise un-remarkable high rake tool that the folks at SPI had on the market for what seems like 30 years. And yes they do work really well.

Grab a chunk of M2.... emulate the angles........ load it up in your boring bar, fly cutter etc of choice and "go to town". The old SPI catalogs as I recall showed the cutter in enough detail that one could likely duplicate from the photo's.

Something like 7 degrees clearance........ 15 degrees of back rake and the cutter presented at a slight angle such that if there is any spring in the system the cutter backs out of the cut rather than digs in.

Similar concept to the old goose-neck tools for planers...... for those of us who remember planers. And like those old planer tools the magic was in that they don't dig in and chatter..... just before they break.

Cyclotronguy
    Thanks for the sanity-check.

;-)

I do have to admit I was more interested in fabbing a work-alike than buying one .. unless a cheap, used one came up.

I do have a shaper... I may even have an HSS ground to just about that geometry as well. This isn't the only application it suits.

As to '...just before they break' no fear here in the cheap seats.

So long as they haven't pretzellized the holder and/or bar and gone on a scar-trail walkabout enroute, 'break' beats all Hell out of ruined work.

Bill

Perry Harrington is offline Titanium

I've got one of those in the toolbox, I'll see If I an get a good pic and some measurements. I know that info would be useful to a lot of people.

metalmagpie is offline Hot Rolled

That's somewhere around 200 fpm, pretty high cutting rate for HSS! Not surprised to see a bunch of smoke.

I usually use a circle cutting attachment on my plasma cutter and then just bore it with carbide if I need a clean hole.

metalmagpie

Quote Originally Posted by rklopp View Post
    There used to be a game to try to get google to return a single hit, called a "googleplex." Googleplexes used to be occasional, but now I think google knows so much about practically everything, they may be next to extinct. I wonder if anyone has done the math to find out the frequency of googolplexes, two-hitters, three-hitters, etc.?
    Yet it is still dead-easy to craft a ZERO hit search-term. Too easy, given the ones I get are nearly always when trying to get more info on a specific bit of surplus kit .... beyond just the maker's history, anyway.

Some of that may be that surplus motors and such can include 'definite purpose' types made to internal OEM numbering schemes, or built-up codes themselves never appearing directly in any catalog. Some, not all, can be deciphered.

Bill