What's new
What's new

cutting acme threads

flatfendershop

Aluminum
Can someone please describe how acme threads are cut. Is there a tap and die set for these or can you set up a lathe to do this (I have a south bend 10k if this helps). I need to know how to do both internal and external please. Thanks! Flatfender.

Flat,

I've seen tap sets for acme threads. Usually they come in sets of four for each size.

http://tinyurl.com/yxetm6

You can also cut them on a lathe using a cutter ground to the correct 29 degree profile for the thread. Thread gages are also available for acme.
http://tinyurl.com/y99mfg

What are you trying to replace? Remember your cross feed and compound are left hand threads. I think most guys change their cf and compound for 1/2 thread. Nuts and threaded rod are available on ebay and miller machine.

What size?
I'm not familiar to your lathe.
Buying acme tap is not cheap!
Most of the sizes one can cut single point on the lathe....if you don't have too many to do.
I have made some taps for small and long threads.

Not sure if you can buy single point tool for small I.D. I make my own by silver soldering carbide or HSS onto a solid HSS blank for small holes and grind to suit thread.
External thread one should have no trouble if cut threads before.

Konrad

I just ordered a copy of HTRAL, has not arrived yet.
The feeds on my lathe come to mind as far as replacing the nuts, the screws are fine-good square threads. Mostly was just curious but I do a lot of tinkering. Would be interested to cut some threads just to say I have. Thanks for the info. Flatfender.

The smallest internal acme that I have done on a lathe was 1/2 10 tpi. I used a 1/4" boring bar and a hss round bit. Clearance was tight but it worked out ok.

I am not sure about a Southbend 10K, but on a Southbend 13", you have to change the stud gear from the normal 24 to a 48. I also had to set the compound to 14 and 1/2 degrees instead of 29 and 1/2degrees.
Willie

Back