What's new
What's new

Cutting Oil

labman

Aluminum
For 30 years I have always used Mobilmet Gamma or Omega. Now they only have Mobilmet 766. I do not like it. It has a horrible smell, not as dark, will not drain off the parts. Part of the anti-misting agent I think. It also has a "Best if used before date" of only 1 year?? I never had the old stuff go bad. What could go wrong with it??
Does anyone have suggestion for a good all around heavy duty cutting oil that is not water soluble?

I like cooltool II. Some swear by Moly-dee, so I bought 2 bottles, haven't quite figured out what the big deal is yet unless the formula changed at some point, I still get better life and easier tapping with the cooltool II, and it doesn't smell as bad.

We've been using Lubriplate No. 405 Cutting Oil at work. It seems to be good stuff, and its just like the good ole regular dark cutting oil. Not sure whats in it because the jugs dont say, but it works good. We buy it by the gallon jugs.

I'm on a Texaco neat, sorry can't tell you the number etc (the 5gall can's labels has long gone) - I know it was made for ''aerospace materials'' good stuff does all I ask and doesn't stink the place out.

A friend uses it in a Star JN16 slider and likes it.

You guys can thank the EPA for all of this. Most of the highly sulferized cutting oils were chlorinated to maintain the stability. What is out there now, probably won't be there in a couple of years. I laid in my supply about a year ago. IIRC, there was even quite a discussion here about it.

There are several companies out there still making the sulferized cutting oils.
JR

If you are using the 766 for spot drilling and tapping MolyDee may work even better, if you are using it in a screw machine you probably can not afford it.
We are using MobilMet Nu. It is non staining (will not interfer with plating of brass) can be used for heavier machining than the Onnicron we used before. I am not sure what the new designation for Nu is. We still have half of a drum we purchased about 6 years ago. After we got the chip wringer we do not go through anywhere near as much oil as we before.

I'm using Mobilmet 426 neat as low-pressure flood and it's been working well for me on a lathe and a mill with 2HP spindles. Good finishes, no yellow metal staining, no varnish, doesn't smoke. Mostly mild and medium carbon steels, with occasional aluminum or brass. I do some knurling and it holds up for that, too. Somewhere I got the impression that 424 or 426 was the Omicron replacement.

I also use it on a larger 7.5HP manual mill and that's probably pushing it, although I haven't burned it up yet.

I don't have experience with the Mobilmet 700 series.

For hand/spot application and the drill press, I usually use CoolTool II. I like it, but it does smoke when hot and some people really dislike the odor. (Odor is fine by me.)

Back