What's new
What's new

Cutting question, 304 stainless

Stevedbme

Plastic
Good afternoon all.
I am a journeyman Sheet Metal mechanic.
I'm working on a project that we're doing 304 SS blowpipe/material handling piping.
We're bolting the connections, and the rings which acts as the connectors are my topic.

The material is 11 ga, aka, 0.125"
I have an id opening of 4" dia.
I need to increase the opening to 4.375" id.

We're using a 1/4" die-grinder, and a die-grinder cutting bit.
I've done 2 of the rings so far, and have 6-8 more to go. I'm going to say it's taken me a good 45-70 minutes per ring.

I asked my foreman if there was a mill/lathe on site so we could use them, and do it in a shorter time. He just laughed, and said if I didn't want to work, I could go home.
When I explained that it's my job as a journeyman to do my job in the most cost effective manner possible he got pissed off.

At this point, I need to know what the best tool, for a die grinder bit to use, to minimize the time involved.
I live in a smaller community so machine tooling supply houses aren't really ubiquitous here. I.e., I'm expecting to have to buy a tool online.
Thank you for your input up front.

Plasma cutter would be the quickest/easiest. Surely you have access to one? Properly set up, the cut would likely not require much finishing, definitely less time than you're spending now. If you can find a hi-def CNC table you likely wouldn't need to finish at all.,

Plasma cutter would be the quickest/easiest. Surely you have access to one? Properly set up, the cut would likely not require much finishing, definitely less time than you're spending now. If you can find a hi-def CNC table you likely wouldn't need to finish at all.,

Yes, probably 45 seconds per part instead of 45 minutes.
Jeff

The OP's problem is his employer is selling time not efficiency.

Good afternoon all.
I am a journeyman Sheet Metal mechanic.
I'm working on a project that we're doing 304 SS blowpipe/material handling piping.
We're bolting the connections, and the rings which acts as the connectors are my topic.

The material is 11 ga, aka, 0.125"
I have an id opening of 4" dia.
I need to increase the opening to 4.375" id.

We're using a 1/4" die-grinder, and a die-grinder cutting bit.
I've done 2 of the rings so far, and have 6-8 more to go. I'm going to say it's taken me a good 45-70 minutes per ring.

I asked my foreman if there was a mill/lathe on site so we could use them, and do it in a shorter time. He just laughed, and said if I didn't want to work, I could go home.
When I explained that it's my job as a journeyman to do my job in the most cost effective manner possible he got pissed off.

At this point, I need to know what the best tool, for a die grinder bit to use, to minimize the time involved.
I live in a smaller community so machine tooling supply houses aren't really ubiquitous here. I.e., I'm expecting to have to buy a tool online.
Thank you for your input up front.
often boss figures his workers time is already paid for and having it done elsewhere will cost extra money.
i had a boss say no when i wanted to order $20 of small boring bar bits. he said grab old drill bit and just hand grind it to what you want. he did not care if it took hours, to him my time was already paid for and he would not care if it took me weeks to do something.
i often made parts in my spare time from maintenance work. boss figured my time for the week was already paid for the week. if i made any parts it was free labor to his point of view. as long as i was doing something and not just doing nothing when caught up with maintenance work. it often took 2x longer to make parts cause i did not have the best setup or machines for the job
do what boss says and hopefully get pay raises. always piss boss off and usually just get all the jobs nobody wants to do and no pay raises. sometimes best to say nothing and just do what boss wants

Most of my work is with 304, if I needed a cheap ass, sorta quick way, I'd go buy a
hole saw. You must have at least a cheap drill press avail. and a bottle of cutting oil.
Clamp them on a piece wood and have at it.
David

some cold rolled, white finished 304 stainless plate is work hardened and 2X harder to cut or machine. going through a lot of saw blades, rotary files, drill bits and taps is normal.
on a lathe with carbide tools would be easier but often boss dont want pay extra for it

Most of my work is with 304, if I needed a cheap ass, sorta quick way, I'd go buy a
hole saw. You must have at least a cheap drill press avail. and a bottle of cutting oil.
Clamp them on a piece wood and have at it.
David

4 3/8 hole saw on a cheap drill press cutting through 1/8 304, I'd love to see a video of that!

4 3/8 hole saw on a cheap drill press cutting through 1/8 304, I'd love to see a video of that!

Since the plate has already 4in hole, it's not really an option.

And a cheap drill press will not have RPM slow enough for a 4 3/8 hole in cold roll 304

Jeff

Back