What's new
What's new

shop full of poison spiders

tnmgcarbide

Diamond
killed a brown recluse and three black widows this week , and i dont want to get bit .
trying to think up some options here:

-just spray bug poison everywhere - under , behind , and in every crack and nook of everywhere in the shop -

-get some predators in there to live and eat the spiders ( toads , anole lizards , geckos , praying mantis......)-

-hire some overpriced exterminator to get rid of them - not sure , but wouldn't they just spray the piss outta'
the place with poison anyway?

i don't hate spiders-just the ones that make you sick and your flesh die and liquify .i've daddy longlegs and lots'
other spiders- that eat bugs in the shop - which i'd like to keep . it would seem that it's all or nothing though.....

any suggestions?

Use your air hose everyday to blow out all the nooks and crannies. Stomp the bad ones, let the good ones go back home.
There is a spray can product called something like "Hot Shot" this takes spiders out pretty good. It doesn't linger long, but will take em out until new ones move in.

Those things will ruin your day. I am a cheap bastard but I would call an exterminator in a heartbeat if I found a brown recluse in my shop. I have known a lot of people who have been bitten by them and they will rot a piece of meat out of you the size of a grapefruit if they get you good. Spiders are ok outside but not where I am.

Fog it ?? Even if it does not kill the spiders, it will kill other things they live off of. I just googled foggers and one called Real-Kill came up first, claims to kill spiders.

Having been bitten by a brown recluse, I can say from experience that whatever it costs to fumigate is cheap compared to the medical bills and pain. Most stories are exaggerated, but there are two things I will believe any story about- tornados and brown recluse bites. If the nice bugs have to go, so be it.

Bill

I was bit by one of the nasty brown ones. I've got pictures of the hole in my arm if you want to see them.

When I had my shop in AZ, I used a propane torch on the black widows every Monday morning. After a while, you just knew where to look. The bug man told me to cut the night lights because the spiders would hang around for the other bugs.

I'd get a bug guy in there at least once and watch where he looks. Like I say, I can send you the pictures. Got bit Friday night, in the emergency room early Saturday morning. You could have fried an egg on my arm.
JR

im not a spider fan. id burn the mthfkr down, real quick.

Spray this orthomax, everywhere you can inside and out. mainly trim, cracks corners, anywhere dark.
Ortho Ortho 0196810 Home Defense MAX Insect Killer, 1.1 Gallon - Outdoor Living - Pest Control - Insect Killers

then id get a bag of granuals...whatever it is make sure it kills spiders...get a lawn seed spreader and spread around the entire perimiter of the building.

spiders will show up when there is an abundance of food ...so chances are you have a fair amount of other bugs around they like to eat. and most other bugs like lights, so if your leaving dusk to dawn light on you may be actually calling them in.

I was bit by one of the nasty brown ones. I've got pictures of the hole in my arm if you want to see them.

When I had my shop in AZ, I used a propane torch on the black widows every Monday morning. After a while, you just knew where to look. The bug man told me to cut the night lights because the spiders would hang around for the other bugs.

I'd get a bug guy in there at least once and watch where he looks. Like I say, I can send you the pictures. Got bit Friday night, in the emergency room early Saturday morning. You could have fried an egg on my arm.
JR

send pics for sure!

Invite your slowest paying customers over for a BBQ and lock them inside until they pay up. :D

I would either fog it or call the exterminator. You are in a bad situation, hate to see you get hurt.

Josh

I don't know if they are still available but I used some of the bug bombs that empty themselves once the top is pushed to rid the shop of fleas from a rabbit's nest and noticed that all the spiders were gone after use.

Bob
WB8NQW

.Interesting note when I looked these little boogers up:

Due to the emphasized fear of these spiders ever since the increase of public awareness in recent years, extermination of domestic brown recluses is performed frequently in lower Midwest America. Brown recluse spiders possess a variety of adaptations, including the abilities to maintain homeostasis for several seasons with no food or water and to survive after losing limbs.[41] Additionally, the spiders survive significantly longer in a relatively cool, thermally stable environment
The increased abilities of the spiders to survive during times of starvation, thirst, and regulated room temperatures makes extermination of this species particularly challenging. Many chemicals which have proven effective have now been made illegal or restricted in the U.S., making the use of chemicals to eradicate the spiders impractical.[41] Chemicals that do not kill the spider may cause disruption to its nervous system or other systems, inducing undesirable aggressive behavior.[41]

If you do spray with a bug bomb, remember to turn off any standing pilot lights(like a water heater, or furnace) in the area. A couple burned down their double wide trailer in southern California the other day, when they neglected to turn off the water heater pilot light. It ignited the bug bomb fumes, destroying the trailer.

I vote for the bug bomb and granules outside. make sure to read the ingredients to make sure it is not something that will cause rust everywhere.
Bill D.

I have never found a critter with an exoskeleton, the didn't die in less than 5 seconds after being hit with a burst of brake/carb cleaner.

I have never found one that could last more than 1 second with a size 13 planted firmly on it! ! ! :D

But.....seriously.....Brake cleaner (the non-flamable chlorinated stuff in the red can) is absolutely the best insect killer that I have ever found! It is instantly lethal to bees, wasps, hornets, and many other nasty little critters. It works ao well that I actually keep a couple of cans around specifically for that purpose!

Don't use the green can brake cleaner (flamable type) on any kind of bees. It just pisses them off more.

the chlorinated stuff is a "de-fatting solvent" and kills them instantly, but I've never tried it on spiders.

Frank

I have never found one that could last more than 1 second with a size 13 planted firmly on it! ! ! :D

But.....seriously.....Brake cleaner (the non-flamable chlorinated stuff in the red can) is absolutely the best insect killer that I have ever found! It is instantly lethal to bees, wasps, hornets, and many other nasty little critters. It works ao well that I actually keep a couple of cans around specifically for that purpose!

Don't use the green can brake cleaner (flamable type) on any kind of bees. It just pisses them off more.

the chlorinated stuff is a "de-fatting solvent" and kills them instantly, but I've never tried it on spiders.

Frank

It is a central nervous system depressant and it will dehydrate the insect killing it.
I do the same...

I use the bug bombs when they get bad in my shop. Set them off at night when I am done and
come back in the morning, bodies everywhere, spiders and all, mostly do it to kill the flies, we
live on a farm.

I believe this has been banned for many years but it will wipe out any and all bugs.I picked up 4 containers of it at a farm sale 10-12 years ago.

Attachments

• 100_3280.jpg
    100_3280.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,977
Spiders tend to be night predators, we have a problem with the big black kind around my house, so when it gets dark I take a flash light and my propane torch out at night periodically and cook them when they have crawled out of their day time hiding places.
Extreme cold will kill them also CO2 fire extinguishers blasted on them will do it, freezing kills them at cellular level the cells break open.
Fine dust also can kill them suffocates em .
A good population of Daddy longlegs spiders tends to keep the others out and not having bugs in the shop will help.
Generally to kill spiders with poison you have to spray it directly on them not like killing ants and such.
Get rid of the hiding places get rid of the dark places

Back