What's new
What's new

D1-6 cam dimensions

toadboy65

Plastic
So here is where I demonstrate my inexperience. All but one of the cams from my lathe spindle were missing. From what I have been able to measure, it is a D1-6 type. It conforms in every way to the diagram at Lathe Spindle Nose Mounting Systems
However, I just received five replacement cams from Grizzly, and they are too large. Grizzly helpfully labels the cams as "cam lock", which is very helpful and specific.
Looking for dimensions on the cams has been pretty frustrating. In every case that I have found, everything else is carefully measured and labeled, but the cams are just ignored.
Anyway, the holes for the cams on my spindle seem to measure exactly 1.00". The one cam I have is slightly under (.999), and the ones from Grizzly are slightly over, at 1.02.
What am I getting wrong?
T

Cams are 996 +.000 / -.002 per Spindle Noses B5.9

The China or other off shore Griz stuff can't be expected to fit USA made spindle noses - 1.02" being 25.908 mm

It might be feasible to turn down the new cams to fit, if everything else about them is correct. You'd need to consider if the 'throw' of the cam will be altered by doing this, although you might be able to correctly offset it before turning it. They might be hardened, so you'd need ceramics to machine them fairly easily.

I made a set of cams for a large dividing head that I put on my shaper. I couldn't make the internal hex, so I machined external hex caps, considering that this device would never operate in any way like a lathe spindle, which could cause chip wrapping.

However, one could probably make cams with a square hole milled in, or even use Sturdy sleeves (brazed in) to make 'flush with surface' cams.

Used to be able to get the real thing from these folks - don't know if that is still the case

They only have the one photo for three differing parts - cam screw, cam and cam stud

MacIt - Catalog

Last edited:
I assumed that MacIt and Griz were selling the same merchandise, but neither seem to feel that product dimensions are a priority. I spoke to the tech people at Grizzly today, and they are going to research and get back to me. But the implication was that their D1-6 spindles might be different than everyone else's. But that is a pretty big difference, and I am not sure that the other dimensions are identical.

Ajax tool has some cam-lock parts.

Search

You might call. Don't just ask the phone order clerk. All they know is the catalog in front of them and what their system has in the inventory. You may have to work your way up the food chain to someone who understands what a cam-lock cam is and what it does..

The folks at Mac-it were kind enough to quicky measure and count their stock on hand, and I have an order on the way, and the Griz ones are on the way back for a refund.

Back