What's new
What's new

D1-6 spindle male taper

Jaydeems

Plastic
Does anyone know where a new d1-6 male taper can be bought? Im talking about the shoet nose on the spindle that the chuck backplate fits over. Im not sure what theyre texhnically even called so looking for one to buy is a little difficult. Its for a 15x32 takisawa yuasa tsl 800. The one thats on there looks like it can be taken off with 6 allen heads removed. Its a little beat up and none of my chucks are really fitting onto it to tight. If i undo the cams the chucks just fall off. Is this something youre supposed to make for each lathe individually? Any help would be much appreciated

I very very seriously doubt that fitting is removable, it will be an integral part of the spindle itself. Also its not a locking taper so the spindle wont grip to it without the locking pressure of the cams. basically you aren't buying one and if it isnt 100% dings just leave it alone.

I could be all wet but I believe those are called the 'register' and they're screwed/bolted to the end of the spindle and should be replaceable. You could almost make your own 'in situ' and finish it with the compound set to the appropriate taper.

Stuart

The bottom line is how it performs, is there a runout or repeatability issue? If you have carefully stoned or lapped any high spots and it still won’t reliably register with a proper female taper, then you need to address it.

I don’t know what configuration the specific machine uses, but regardless I doubt it is a “swap out” fix.

the taper can be reground (touched up) on the spindle in the machine as well, if you are lucky and the bearings are good and it’s just the taper.

There are folks who will come to your shop and do such a service also. Good luck with it...

( Call Takisawa? .)

...I doubt it is a “swap out” fix...

...the taper can be reground (touched up) on the spindle in the machine as well,..

I don't believe the taper is removable from the spindle but I'm betting that even if it was and you could bolt a new
one in place the only way you'd get it to run perfectly true would be to grind it "in situ". Might as well just grind
the old one...

If it’s D1-6 , the Allen capscrews you are looking at probably hold the locking cams in place??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I seem to be having repeatability issues whenever i take a chuck off and then put it back on. I can feel it not registering on the taper. Almost like if the taper wasnt even there. Ill get some pictures up today so you guys can see what im talking about. Im also gonna try blueing it and see if i get any transfer at all.

Ill get a few pictures up later today. Maybe that will help. I havent tried calling takisawa yet but if i get some time today then ill see whay they say

Now there is a gent that knows what he is talking about. I'd encourage everyone to become familiar with ASA/ASME B5.9 Spindle Noses

If it’s D1-6 , the Allen capscrews you are looking at probably hold the locking cams in place??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well..hell! In an effort not to contribute to fake news I staggered down to the shop and pulled my 8" Bison, only to be rewarded with the 'real news'. Yes..I was all wet, as stated by those much more knowledgeable than I, those SHCS do indeed capture the locking cams and the register does not come off.

I learned something today.:o

Stuart

Yup. I was going to post about my recollection of making a D1-6 tailstock chuck mount and say cam retention screws but you've beaten me to the punch several times over. Good bunch of guys here.

Ok sorry it took so long. So it looks like that nose has a taper behind it for the 5c collet sleeve and that whole nose and taper is seperate from the rest of the spindle. So it can be taken off from what i can tell. I still havent called tak but i bet theyre gonna be my only hope of a replacement. How do i post a picture? How do i know when someone has responded to a post? Im stuck jusy searching the forum for my old post and looking through pages of posts at this point

That is just a standard D type spindle nose. It does not come off. What you are looking at is a single piece of steel that starts there and extends right to the back of the headstock.

It will look something like this

212664d1510533564-removing-d1-4-mount-lathe-spindle-d-type.jpg

So the socket cap screws just retain the cams from sliding out? I had a Takisawa like that once, a nice machine, but it wouldn't thread 13 TPI without changing pick off gears. I miss it though.

Does anyone know where a new d1-6 male taper can be bought? Im talking about the shoet nose on the spindle that the chuck backplate fits over. Im not sure what theyre texhnically even called so looking for one to buy is a little difficult. Its for a 15x32 takisawa yuasa tsl 800. The one thats on there looks like it can be taken off with 6 allen heads removed. Its a little beat up and none of my chucks are really fitting onto it to tight. If i undo the cams the chucks just fall off. Is this something youre supposed to make for each lathe individually? Any help would be much appreciated

Have you seen the PDF of the partial parts list and exploded diagrams? They are floating around the internets or were in the past anyway. I prolly have a copy of the PDF on a computer around here I can send your way if you want it (and if I can find it.)

Blue it up and see what you have , if your not hitting the taper the flat face can be ground to make the taper sit deeper , we are talking about tenths here, go real slow a little bit goes a long ways.

Back