What's new
What's new

Dake 50 ton hydraulic shop press - How much do you have to weigh to operate it ??

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I ask I as bought a Dake 50H brand new, did some tests and I can't go more than 35 tons....and that's with my entire 180 lbs hanging off the end of the pump bar. If that is "the way they are" I am pretty disappointed. I rarely need to go more than 25 tons but even that is not easy. I used to have a Jet* 35 ton press, which had two speeds...that one was easy to get to 35 tons at the slow speed.

Hard to believe the Dake with it's massive head is so slow and yet requires so much human pumping force to get it to go the distance. Maybe the gauge is defective such that I'm really at 60 tons when it reads 35 tons ?

-----------------
*Yes indeedy...I owned a Jet product ! Probably the only thing Jet "made" that's not a copy of something....nice press except it eventually leaked so bad I threw it in with the auction stuff. Probably should have fixed it..

Call Dake and ask for specs on the piston diameters for the pump and ram, and do some area calcs along with the length of the lever. Simple hydraulic systems like this are pretty low-loss, so whatever you're putting in should be coming out as multiplied ram force.

[Awaiting the "Captain Obvious" response... ;) ]

No idea if it applies to your situation but it lists a max piston stroke of 4" and do not exceed that, use the acme thread to further extend the ram and not via pumping. From the online manual.
My test was with piston stoke of less than 1"

Call Dake and ask for specs on the piston diameters for the pump and ram, and do some area calcs along with the length of the lever. Simple hydraulic systems like this are pretty low-loss, so whatever you're putting in should be coming out as multiplied ram force.

[Awaiting the "Captain Obvious" response... ;) ]
Why ? The thing should be designed for the average male to pump it to 50 tons without undue exertion, so who cares about the calculations beyond that fact ? My how much do you have to weigh question was meant for humor only.

Have seen in a Dake manual that 75 lbs. was the expected force to be used on a non hydraulic unit.
Confused by "non hydraulic unit" since all shop H frame presses are hydraulic. Regardless, 75 lbs force to achieve full force on 50 ton press sounds reasonable but nothing in my manual mentions the force required. The current state of affairs is 180 lbs force to achieve 35 tons...lord knows what it would take to get to 50 tons !! I've been calling Dake but can't get thru to anyone yet.

How long is the pump handle on those?
Didn't measure it but the answer should be "long enough".... of course I could use a cheater bar to achieve more force but that simply should not be necessary and for sensitive work would put my eyeballs too far from the action. My pump bar looks identical to one below.

$T2eC16F,!y8E9s2fjEp-BQR5p8oly!~~60_35.JPG

While I use a very short handle to position the jack 'quickly', I do use an extension for ultimate pressures, but my extension doesn't look any longer than what you show in the picture.

Find the normal length of the pump handle, I'd say yours is short on one end. An Engine hoist I have has a long handle, which is a pita when lifting light loads, so I made a short one which is used 60% of the time, and the long one the rest.

Do this, measure the length of the pump piston stroke, count the number of strokes to move the ram 1 inch, say its 20 strokes.say each piston stroke is one inch, this is a 20: 1 ratio, measure the distance between the pivot on the top of the pump piston, and the pivot at the rear link. Say its 2 inches, now measure from the end of the bar to the rear pivot, say 48".

So 48*180=8640 in lbs/2= 4320 * 20= 86400 lbs or 43 tons. Your numbers should tell the tale.
Bar" *Your weight /pivot distance * pump/ram ratio

Last edited:
You know it is funny how the term cherry picker seems to change. Of course now most are harvested with some kind of shaker that shakes the trees and catches the fruit. I have seen photos of people on ladders, people on elevated trailers, people with poles and even people on others shoulders picking cherrys and other fruit and nuts. But I dont think I have ever actually seen people picking fruit from a Cherry picker. :)

But of course none of that has anything to do with a handle length or pressure, but it is funny.

Charles

This makes me glad that my 50 ton press is a Carolina.

If you're going by some gauge, I'll bet that they put the wrong gauge on it.

If you look really close at the gauge, does it have some really find print on it that says something like:
"For 4 inch ram"

You know it is funny how the term cherry picker seems to change. Of course now most are harvested with some kind of shaker that shakes the trees and catches the fruit. I have seen photos of people on ladders, people on elevated trailers, people with poles and even people on others shoulders picking cherrys and other fruit and nuts. But I dont think I have ever actually seen people picking fruit from a Cherry picker. :)

But of course none of that has anything to do with a handle length or pressure, but it is funny.

Charles
The point of the slang is that with a man lift one could pick cherries if one wanted to. Although lifting is done, one can't "pick" anything with a shop crane, much less a cherry, so the term is idiotic applied to same. Especially considering the use of the term by man lift operators that long predates the language corruption by shop crane owners.

If you're going by some gauge, I'll bet that they put the wrong gauge on it.
Finally talked with Dake tech. They think it either needs bleeding again (already did that once....plus air would tend to make it mushy, which it isn't) or there is a stuck check valve. They say they have never had a bad gauge.

Word of caution, unless it is only my 75 ton do not push with the screw extension all the way out, the screw on mine locks up then.

My 50 H press has a handle that is 21" from the entry point of the receiving casting....
Use ours often in the 30-35 ton range. It takes effort but not my entire body weight (172 lbs)

Guess the gauge is not reading properly, or ????
Cheers Ross

Finally talked with Dake tech. They think it either needs bleeding again (already did that once....plus air would tend to make it mushy, which it isn't) or there is a stuck check valve. They say they have never had a bad gauge.

Gauge reads directly off the applied pressure on the cylinder.....If you can release the pressure and retract the ram then pump it back down again, and make pressure, then the check valve is not stuck...
Air as you said won't give bad gauge reading....

Cheers Ross

Back