What's new
What's new

Decent small drill press recommendations?

jccaclimber

Stainless
The small floor standing drill press in our engineering lab is finally shot after who knows how many decades of use. Rather than buy an unmentionable and throw it away in another 5-10 years I'd rather replace it with something better.

The main purpose if this thing is to keep people from treating the mill next to it as a drill press and knocking holes in the vice, but I would rather replace it with something that isn't going to need to be replaced in another 5 years. We don't work many tall things, so a bench sized model would work as well as a floor standing model.

The threads on small drill presses here seem to go either to "Get a POS" or "This weighs 2000 pounds and costs $5k used, but it makes a great 3/8" capacity drill press". Is there an in between option? I do not need great sensitive feed for tiny holes, I can do that on the mill with a sensitive feed chuck. We do occasionally make 1/2" holes in steel (powder metal or cheap plate), but everyday work is usually in the 1/8" to 3/8" range.

Where I went to undergrad we had bench size drill presses from the 1950's (at least) that did a great job of drilling 1/2" holes in steel and survived the abuse of a student environment. Is there a modern equivalent? I'd like to keep this under $2000 (half that if it's an option), but if that isn't reasonable I'll just plan it on next year's budget.

Solberga and Arboga are popular gear head machines, Powermatic and Wilton had variable speed presses that did what they were supposed to. If you can find one of any of those used that haven't been abused and worked to death you could get a bargain.
New, honestly haven't got a clue as to what's available today.
Dan

You are in an engineering lab, want a modern DP presumably new, and want to be able to punch .500 holes. You are also looking to spend 1-2K. Does not compute.

-Marty-

I would stay away from a gearhead drillpress. I could be wrong but with student users they may strip a gear or something. Better if the belt slips when they take too big a bite.
Bill

I would stay away from a gearhead drillpress. I could be wrong but with student users they may strip a gear or something. Better if the belt slips when they take too big a bite.
Bill

No students here (well, techs and engineers), but I see your point. I haven't seen anything really stupid occur, but I do find the broken drill bits that are evidence.

You are in an engineering lab, want a modern DP presumably new, and want to be able to punch .500 holes. You are also looking to spend 1-2K. Does not compute.

-Marty-

New yes, fancy widgets no. What is stopping me on the 1/2" hole front, power, rigidity, spindle size, low speed, or just that anything remotely durable at half my desired capability is outside my price range? I can punch half inch holes with my hand drill, so it doesn't strike me as utterly unreasonable.

The 1/2" hole use tends to be knocking rough holes in fixtures, not precision bolt patterns, which would end up on the mill. This may not help me any, but I figure a machine that *can* make a given hole isn't necessarily the same as one that can do so with easy and efficiency. Sort of like trying to put a 12" round on our 15x50 lathe. You *could* in a pinch, but it isn't the ideal machine for it. The last place I worked had an ancient drill press with an MT3 spindle and a full cabinet of tooling for it. Sadly we don't have the space or budget for a machine of that size.

I love my 1980 "Junk" gear head drill press, it's been one of the few machines we've had that has never given us any problems for the last 30 years. It was made in Taiwan, so I guess therefor it's junk, in spite of being a trooper all those years.
If people respect a machine tool it will probably do good work assuming it was designed and built as an industrial machine tool. However, if people treat a machine as being junk it will turn into junk, amazingly fast sometimes. But I judge a machine tool the same way I judge people, by their abilities, not by biases. Treat a German or Japanese machine the same way and it will turn into junk too.
It cost me $895 used.

New yes, fancy widgets no. What is stopping me on the 1/2" hole front, power, rigidity, spindle size, low speed, or just that anything remotely durable at half my desired capability is outside my price range? I can punch half inch holes with my hand drill, so it doesn't strike me as utterly unreasonable.

The 1/2" hole use tends to be knocking rough holes in fixtures, not precision bolt patterns, which would end up on the mill. This may not help me any, but I figure a machine that *can* make a given hole isn't necessarily the same as one that can do so with easy and efficiency. Sort of like trying to put a 12" round on our 15x50 lathe. You *could* in a pinch, but it isn't the ideal machine for it. The last place I worked had an ancient drill press with an MT3 spindle and a full cabinet of tooling for it. Sadly we don't have the space or budget for a machine of that size.

Well you dont need "decent" to make 1/2" holes.. but talking about the cheaper ones get threads locked on this site really fast. Wank around old Alzmetall ones and life is good.

I have absolutely no idea who makes them, but I have never been disappointed with anything I purchased from McMaster. They have an assortment of bench top DPs in a medium price range. They are most likely imports, but probably of better than average quality for that. And almost everything you will find under $2000 will be an import. You are probably going to have to look long and hard to find a better fit for your stated needs.

McMaster-Carr

I will say this about inexpensive DPs. About three or four decades ago I purchased a $49.99 DP at a local lumber yard. It is a three speed, bench top model. I don't know who made it or where. It has lasted for all that time and I use it to the present day. I have probably drilled tens of thousands of holes with it, including 1/2" and even larger ones, at least in mild steel: my use is probably very similar to yours. I am very certain that I have got my money's worth out of it. And It will probably out last me. But if I ever need to replace it, I will probably look for something around $100 to $200. My point is not that you should buy cheap tools. My point is not to overthink this decision. In your place I would pick one of the McMaster models and stop worrying about it.

Not sure if it is actually as good as what I have heard about it, but this could be an option for you. Has some pretty crazy features for a drill press.

NOVA Galaxi DVR Lathe
Not sure why the link says it is a lathe. Definitely a drill press.

I use an old powermatic drill press with a variable speed lever on the front at school all the time. With a sharp drill bit and the right rpm (people run big drills way too fast) this thing just plows through metal. Don't have the exact model handy, but it is similar to this one. As far as I know, it has been in this student use shop for the last 20-40ish years.
West Auctions - Auction: Court-Ordered Liquidation of Kerner Optical, LLC in San Rafael, California (Kerner Blvd) ITEM: Powermatic Drill Press

I'm assuming all sorts of folks will be using this drill press?

Might want to get one with a larger table and 20" swing so you can easily put a Float Lock vise in one corner -- and also have something like a Heinrich or Cardinal speed vise around. Both for safety. And fewer holes in the table.

Then +1 to the VFD -- no one is likely to change belts. And a table lift.

Point being that another floor stander might end up being safer/easier for those wandering through.

Wondering if Electro-Mechano still offers 16" and 20" drill presses. They're pictured in the online catalog but no details. Electro-Mechano
I was going to mention these also. Bee-yoo-tee-ful. But I'm not sure about the price :(

I had one of those really old things with the sliding support for the chuck, you know them ? Really old and antique-looking ? Damn thing worked great. Flat belt drive, power feed, drilled super. People laughed when they saw it though.

Back