What's new
What's new

Deep Boring Cast Iron

crusty1007

Plastic
Fellas, I've been cruising the threads on boring/opening up holes in cast iron. I need some help as I am in no way a machinist. I definitely want to be more proficient. In the mean time I have a few questions I have not been able to get answered specifically using the internet.

To cover what I'm doing, Its a Buick V6 engine block. The oil pick up in the early blocks starts at .440", I want to open this to a final size of .625" (or as close as possible)to match the later model blocks and pickups.
The reason being is the oiling issues. Apparently (these are older than I am) the guys that have used them in the past, find they have oiling issues to the cam and the heads. The idea is, get the pump as much fluid as it needs, is how I understand it.

Currently the opening is .440" with a depth of 6.250" Here is what I understand, doing internet research (I don't believe there is much wall thickness. I cannot verify its actual wall, just eyeball it and guess.)

-Use a core bit
-drill the cast iron dry
-Drill sizes, how should I be stepping up. some are saying go full diameter allowing tolerance for excess drill bit material removal and final ream. Others are saying somewhere between 1/16 and 1/32 in bit size increase at each pass.

Finally, am I crazy to try and do this by hand? I could also mount it to drill press and indicate center of tool path and current hole. I could also possibly get it on a manual Bridgeport if that would be better.

Any and all feed back is appreciated.

Back