What's new
What's new

deep drawing aluminum cylinder closed one end

DanielG

Stainless
We're looking at needing a bunch (10k) of aluminum cylinders with one end closed. The current low volume design is 3.5" OD, .125" wall, 11" long aluminum tubing, with a 3.375" OD, .125" thick cap inset and glued or welded in. With the higher volume, I'm wondering if deep drawing might be a good process for this. The details of the closed end don't matter too much, there can be a decent radius on the corner.

You would need a good size hydraulic press with a minimum of 24 inch stroke. Blank size will be over 2 foot diameter. There are companies that do this big stuff no problem. Hell, there are places that make large hot water tanks deep draw, no welding required. Good luck.

Thought I'd give a status update.

No response from the custom manufacturing division of Polarware.

Zero did get back to me with a quote, but it is surprisingly expensive, even in large quantities (lots of 100 or 1000). Unless you need it to be smooth and seamless, they weren't cost competitive with welding.

I have a quote out to an impact extrusion place.

Zero did get back to me with a quote, but it is surprisingly expensive, even in large quantities (lots of 100 or 1000). Unless you need it to be smooth and seamless, they weren't cost competitive with welding.

Zero didn't pay me much when I was cutting the draw trim off these during one of my college summer jobs. But we did draw them deep. Similar were used for balloon carried meteorological instrumentation packages. After drawing and heat treatment these cans were rugged!

I secound or is that third the impact extrusion. Thats going to need so many steps to draw its not going to be viable. Impact extrusion you take a slug and basically just squeeze it up a mandrill in a die creating the shape you seek, 1 hit and done, then trim to length.

fyi the setup is going to be costly, if you want 10'K why are you after 100 piece prices??? Stuff like this the saveings all in the qty.

Metal Spining

We're looking at needing a bunch (10k) of aluminum cylinders with one end closed. The current low volume design is 3.5" OD, .125" wall, 11" long aluminum tubing, with a 3.375" OD, .125" thick cap inset and glued or welded in. With the higher volume, I'm wondering if deep drawing might be a good process for this. The details of the closed end don't matter too much, there can be a decent radius on the corner.

I'm not hot on drawing or extruding this part. It may be better to also consider metal spinning the part to keep costs in check.

Roger 11/22/2017

Sorry, I forgot to update this thread with the info on impact extrusion quote. This worked out to be significantly less expensive than deep drawing. Tooling charges were ~7k, and the per part price was a lot less than deep drawing.

Back