What's new
What's new

OT: Pin material selection for roller chain

MwTech Inc

Titanium
OK first thing: this chain will not be used for any lifting device of any kind.

I need to attach the ends of 100 pitch 2 strand roller chain to a metal bracket.

I searched Tsubaki's site and found no info.

What material is used for the pins?

Thanks
Andy

could you not use a masterlink made to couple the double row chain?

some of them are assembled with cotter pins, so you would have a seperate pin easy enough taken from a donor masterlink?

bob g

Similar to what Bob suggests. We sometimes use roller chain in static lengths. Drill a hole in your anchor block the same diameter as the chain pin, and simply join the two using a standard connecting link. Because we use single strand chain, our anchor block is simply a piece of square keysteel, but you could use the same idea with a rectangular piece of steel.

As to the original question, not sure what the pin material is, case hardened, possibly nitrided? My guess is a good quality socket head capscrew (dia. 3/8" for #100 I think) would do the job as a static pin if the above idea was not suitable.

As to the original question, not sure what the pin material is, case hardened, possibly nitrided? My guess is a good quality socket head capscrew (dia. 3/8" for #100 I think) would do the job as a static pin if the above idea was not suitable.

That's what I've used in the past, with no problems known of or reported to me.

Back