What's new
What's new

Help with CAD plate pricing

viper

Titanium
I think all our local guys are nuts but curious if others here could answer.

14,000 parts total
CRS sheet metal parts
7000 each - 15 sq in
7000 each - 40sq in

Type II CAD, cert required. Locals want 23 grand for this lot. We will submit parts after being tumbled and washed in house. The rough weight of the parts is 3500 lbs so simply shipping to someone could get pricey but might drive somewhere close enough for a better deal or if the deal is good enough, I will box up and ship out. Really curious how these prices stack up to the rest of the world because I really expected to be MUCH less with this volume..

Thoughts?

I havent had any CAD plating done in 20 years- but it was expensive then, and since it is done so much less today, I cant imagine it has done anything but gone up in price.
Its a great finish- but is done much less these days, as its more toxic than zinc, more expensive to deal with the waste materials, and most big companies, like automotive, that used to do all Cad plating, have switched.
The entire USA audio speaker industry used to have all the baskets and magnet backing plates Cad plated- back in the 70's when I worked in that industry- but now, there is NO US speaker industry, or practically none, and all the old line chicago manufacturers, and the plating houses that served them, have dried up and blown away.

so good luck finding it cheap.
I am sure that out here on the west coast, with our stricter enviro standards, it would cost even more than your quote.

Given that almost everybody wants ROHS parts where cadmium is not allowed means that you are probably fighting a losing battle. Even Zinc Chromate has to be the right stuff.

Europe and most other countries will not accept CAD parts.

Chris P

I am amazed that anyone, a. wants to buy Cadmium plated parts, b. is willing to do Cadmium plating. Maybe the customer is stuck in a time warp, i. e. is forced to provide parts made to an obsolete Government/military specification. Maybe the plater is working one step ahead of the EPA and becoming a Superfund site.

Larry

Huh, I did not know Cad was going out. I know most of our cad inserts are going to DFL coatings. Good old EPA at work I guess...

No Viper - not the EPA. People discovered that hexavalent Chromium was not good for you.

I'd be less sceptical if I were you. I met a guy with Berylliosis and you don't want that either. A similar case of "it'll be OK".

Mostly chemicals are bad for you - even when you do know about them.
Even some wood dust is pretty toxic.

I suggest you check out the analyses that show the concentration of what nasty stuff is already in people's blood. Things like BPA, lead, mercury and a few others.

Back