What's new
What's new

Determine age of Hendey 16 X 30 lathe.

Kyle Smith

Stainless
I bought this Hendey 16 X 30 lathe yesterday and would like to know its age. The aluminum tag on the headstock is completely illegible. It has a brass tag with the number 1572, which doesn't seem original. It has TRB on the spindle for Timken Roller Bearings from what I've read. Overall the machine is in very good shape, little rust, ways are not dinged up, and everything spins and slides smoothly. The only negative was it only came with a 12" Buck Chuck, no other tooling. Are there other places on the machine that display the serial number?

I apologize for the poor photographs.

No serial. It will be stamped in between two front ways on right end on top adjacent the two fasteners holding up the right hand lead screw bracket. Will likely be five digits.

Here is a manual scan - looks like yours is a 12 speed.

Thanks to Greg Menke for hosting

Thank you John, found it: 38740H1749. Thank you for the manual as well. much appreciated.

Nice looking piece of Machinery. I see it has a unique height raising setup. Also helps to get the forklift tines under the lathe as well.

Harold

It does make moving the lathe very easy. Not much you can do to true up the machine with that installed though. I don't think the previous owner worried about that, his shop was small enough all his equipment was setup in the same manner, to facilitate moving things repeatedly. Once I have it where I want it I'll remove the bracket and keep it just for transport.

Back