What's new
What's new

Device to make Spoon Rings

daabamatic

Aluminum
Does anyone have any idea about making a device or fixture to take household spoons and turn them into rings.I have made a simple bending fixture but it really is not too effective.Any imput would be greatly appreciated.I have my own litlle shop in my garage,Bridgeport and Logan lathe and other useful machines.Any sketches would help.
George( daabamatic)

I am not too sure where you are trying to go, do you wish to roll the handle into a ring that will fit a finger, what do you want to do with the bowl?
Peter

Does anyone have any idea about making a device or fixture to take household spoons and turn them into rings.I have made a simple bending fixture but it really is not too effective.Any imput would be greatly appreciated.I have my own litlle shop in my garage,Bridgeport and Logan lathe and other useful machines.Any sketches would help.
George( daabamatic)

Here you go. See pics. I form rings all the time with this. Size of ring can be varied by switching die sets.
Jim

Attachments

• RingBender1.jpg
    RingBender1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 13,161
  • RingBender2.jpg
    RingBender2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 7,052
  • RingBender3.jpg
    RingBender3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 9,905
When I was in the navy with a lot of time to kill we used to make a different type of spoon ring. This was when coins were real silver. Take a 50 cent piece and keep striking it on the edge with a chow hall soup spoon. when the edge is swaged over with the center about the right size drill out the center and smooth with a file. Only takes about a gazzilion tiny taps to get er done. I made one for my girl. She's now my wife of almost 50 years and still has it..........Bob

Magicmaker, a question for you, how long did it take you to make that box full of bits and pieces ? If you bought it, what sort of rough figure is any other party liable to have to fork out for this lot ?

Now I know time is money, even if your making it at home, but, wouldn't something like this, be far cheaper and a lot more versatile ?

Gear Driven Ring Roller

I did not make it. It is a Pepe brand of jeweler's tool. It comes with all of the formers and is perfect for the task being discussed.

Super Ring Bending Tool 301.00

The HF roller you linked to will not go small enough nor allow the required size control.

I do not remenber the price of the Pepe tool. It really does not matter as it paid for itself ages ago with the first job run.
Jim

Hello -

It is great to see positive feedback on Pepetools products!

I realize this post is a few years old, however, Pepetools has just released a new and improved version of the Euro Ring Bending Tool. The new version contains a few improvements, the one we are most proud of is that now the item is 100% manufactured in the USA!

More information can be found on our website at http://pepetools.com/superior-ring-bending-tool

If you have any questions please let me know! I can be reached at [email protected]

Thank you!

- Pepetools, USA

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366107197.606832.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1366107213.123664.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1366107228.308630.jpg

Cool stuff, PepeTools, and heartwarming to see items made in USA. 55 years on the planet and I had never heard the term "dapping!" Now I wanna be a jeweler!

We have a facility in Europe. Our OKC facility is responsible for the entire manufacturing process of this specific item. I can assure you that this product and our new Jump Ring Maker is manufactured entirely in Oklahoma City. Check out our Facebook page for few video clips of our HMC and the Induction Heat Treating machine.

We built a machine shop from the ground up specifically for these, and a few other products.

Kevin - Our door is always open, you should make a trip out to OKC!

www.facebook.com/pepetools

You use the spoons for fishing lures hence the origin of the term 'spoon' for spoon shaped fishing lures.

My Grandpa Kane did that. I had forgotten about it. Thanks for the memory.

Hey Pepe, your machine program for making the jump ring cutting fixture could be improved a lot:

• Use a bigger end mill, the one you are using for that operation is too small
  • Get rid of the high speed machining tool path, your material is near net size, so just take 1 pass with a 1/2" end mill
  • Don't baby the machine, you aren't running the tool paths as fast as you can and there is quite a bit of lost motion in your inefficient tool path

What a coincidence. Somewhere in a box of treasures from my Navy days there is a forties vintage walking liberty 50 cent piece that was beaten into a ring on a VA-34, 1960/61 Med cruise aboard USS Saratoga. Good memories.
ADCS USN Ret. 1958-1979

Back