What's new
What's new

OT-Need freight suggestions

Racebrewer

Aluminum
Hi,

The Champlain Valley Transportation Museum has purchased an 1890's Big Wheel bike. The only problem is that its crated up in Seattle and we're in Plattsburgh, NY.

We're concerned with shipping it by simple truck freight due to the fear of damage. Its in a warehouse of a cross country furniture van company. They were going to put it on the next truck heading to the Northeast, but there haven't been any for months since nobody is moving due to poor house sales.

The best rate for safe trucking we've been able to get is well over $1,000. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

PS: We just got an 1896 Lozier tandem bicycle and a Camelback drill press

Any 18 wheeler will use up about $1300 in diesel just getting there. Never mind eats, sleeps, tolls, maybe some pay for driver and wear and tear on investment.

What is the size and weight of the crate? This information would help in considering alternatives. In the past, I have gotten surprisingly good rates shipping via Forward Air. The only negatives have been that you generally need to drop off at their terminal and pick up from the receiving terminal and that when I did it they only accepted money orders and weren't able to give a firm shipping price until they had the package in their possession - so I would drop off the package, get my quote and run down the road to pick up a money order - kind of a PITA, but for what I was shipping it was cheaper and safer than paying undiscounted LTL trucking rates.

Thanks Guys,

Great ideas and a great freight website. Sorry I didn't note the box size. Its about 6' X 6' X 2' and weighs about 250 lbs.

I'm going to watch that site for a while and check out car haulers to see if they can fit a box in behind a V-Dub.

The last time I shipped something by bus, it arrived with bus tire tread marks across the top. Fortunately the box contained clothing and it was OK.

Anybody up to riding a Big Wheel bike across country? Yah, way too painful!

Much appreciated,
John

Back