What's new
What's new

Did I get ripped off buying this supposed 460v/3 phase/30A extension cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannonmn

Stainless
I received today a 100' extension cord advertised as 460volt/3 phase/30 amps. I needed this for a number of machines we don't use very often and get moved around in our building, making an installed, hard-wired-to-each-machine system impractical. I was a bit surprised to see 14 AWG 4-conductor cord that is rated at only 300 volts as marked right on the cord. I don't think of 14 gauge wire as being what I'd want to use to carry 30 amps. Did the seller make a mistake here, or is it a common practice to use 300-volt wire for 460 volts and 14 gauge wire to carry 30 amps? At least the plugs are ok and reflect the advertised voltage, phase, and current, but. Over $300. For 14 gauge wire? I could go to Home Depot and make up the same thing for maybe $100. I think.

I could go to Home Depot and make up the same thing for maybe $100. I think.

Really ???

First of all, you'll have a hard time finding any 3 phase wire at Home Depot, but one by me did get a spool of it and sold me some.

When you find 3 phase wire around town it's usually in the $1.50-$2/per foot range. That's $250 just for the wire, if it was $1.50/per foot. The connectors are about $30, so that's about $280 plus if you have any tax, probably close or at $300. However, I use 10awg wire for 30 amps, so yes, 14awg is a bit small.

Lastly, you can get by with smaller wire if the machines being used do not require all 30 amps. Say, one only requires 10 amps or 15 amps, then 14awg might be ok. I always size my cords for the worst possibly situation, so as if the full 30 amps was needed. 14awg is for 15 amps.

I do not know about cord wires but for house wire #14 is max 15 amps, #12 is max 20 amps,
I would say you need at least #10 wire with better insulation. Since the wire is 200 feet you are getting into the range of needing bigger wire to prevent voltage drop. That means it might need #8.
You got hosed.
Bill D.

100FT 10 AWG 5C 10/5-SOOW UL/CSA Portable Cord - 600V - Black 216$ free shipping. found in the usual places.

4 conductor is about 180$ and then there's the connectors.

I suspect the seller made a mistake with regard to the 14 awg wire, but its hard to say you made a mistake with 480v 30 amp connectors on 14 awg wire rated for 300 volts.

I don't believe you need to go with 8 gauge wire, you're only going to loose 3 volts each way at 30 amps on ten gauge wire. that's a little more than 1% of a 480v system.

I don't know your local situation but the NEMA rated connectors are 480 volt (not 460). L16-30 sockets and plugs is what I would use. Is that what you have? A set (1ea) of those from McMaster are about $80.

I would suggest 8AWG, 4 conductor, SOOW (35 amp rated) which is UL rated and costs $579 for 100 ft. at McMaster.

So that's about $660 parts cost. Maybe you can get a lower cost by shopping around (What's your time worth?).

I say you got what you paid for, not what you wanted. Exchange it if possible.

Amps are amps. SO cord is rated lower than other types of wire because the conductors are so close together and the extra insulation does not dissipate heat. Looks like you need some 8 gauge SO cord.

IMHO i would go for 2 50'ers lot easier to coil up - move around when you have them in the correct wire gauge.

You either been had or a victim of the seller's mistake.

You touched on the obvious stuff: the wire gage, the volts rating, etc but there's other factors making a cord assembly suited for use in an industrial setting, crush and oil resistance, lugs and connectors, testing certs, approvals, etc. I refer you to the NEC for the details. Chances are the cord you have will work for now but why take a chance with fire, employee safety, work stoppage. A 100 foot cord would normally be selected a wire gage larger than the code required ampacity for reasons of voltage drop.but the effect of voltage drop over 460 volts is a matter of proportion - ie, to lower voltages so that's a judgement call.

In your case, a commercial shop constrained by rules and regs and concerned with employee safety, if you can't get your money back, I'd suggest you replace the plug and connector with those intended for lower voltage and send Mario, the knee-capper, to explain electrical theory to the seller. In any case, pony up the $300 (probably more) for a properly rated cord set for your application..

Making a 460 volt, 3 phase, 30 Amp rated extension cord aint rocket science. It's a first year electrician apprentice job. Your components have to be properly rated for the specific service and, of course, the workmanship and other details up to snuff. I suggest 600 volt rated rubber covered 8/4 cable having a SOOW or better rating and service specific terminations by Hubbel;, Levitron etc. But look in the NEC. Such a 100 ft cord at 65# will be all anyone would want to carry any distance.

While I've been pecking away, others have responded quicker. Drat!

Last edited:
We make 480V cords all the time - UL has two voltage classifications for cables - 300V and 600V and ALL cables intended for 480V (or 301V to 600V) must carry the 600V brand on the outer jacket.

Sounds like a mistake was made -

As for current carrying capacity - you need to look at a number of factors - this page is one of the better pages that spells it out in the detail required to not just be guessing . . . Multiconductor SO cable ampacity

Column A is used for true 3-phase conductors where all 3 are carrying current - 30A -> 8GU

Whether the wire is heavy enough to carry the current is one issue. The insulation being heavy enough to handle the voltage is another. You can evaluate the current requirements but the wire voltage rating must excede the voltage being applied.. A "J " in the wire type means the wire is junior grade and rated 300 volts. It is used for 120 and 240 volt applications. The absence of the J (eg SJOOW vs SOOW) means it is rated 600 volts and good for your application. There is no way around the need for thicker insulation for higher voltage.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You either been had or a victim of the seller's mistake.

You touched on the obvious stuff: the wire gage, the volts rating, etc but there's other factors making a cord assembly suited for use in an industrial setting, crush and oil resistance, lugs and connectors, testing certs, approvals, etc.I refer you to the NEC for the details. Chances are the cord you have will work for now but why take a chance with fire, employee safety, work stoppage. A 100 foot cord would normally be selected a wire gage larger than the code required ampacity for reasons of voltage drop.but the effect of voltage drop over 460 volts is a matter of proportion - ie, to lower voltages so that's a judgement call.

In your case, a commercial shop constrained by rules and reg and concern for employee safety. If you can't get your money back, I'd suggest you replace the plug and connector with those intended for lower voltage and send Mario, the knee-capper, to explain electrical theory to the seller. In any case, pony up the $300 (probably more) for a properly rated cord set for your application..

Making a 460 volt, 3 phase, 30 Amp rated extension cord aint rocket science. It's a first year electrician apprentice job. Your components have to be properly rated for the specific service and, of course, the workmanship and other details up to snuff. I suggest 600 volt rated rubber covered 8/4 cable having a SOOW or better rating and service specific terminations by Hubbel;, Levitron etc. But look in the NEC. Such a 100 ft cord at 65# will be all anyone would want to carry any distance.

While I'v been pecking away, others have responded quicker.
As far as the wire goes, the letters tell the tale S= portable cordage. Lack of a J= 600 volts. W= water resistant. O= oil resistant outer insulation. OO = oil resistant wire insulation and outer insulation. There are codes for low temp flexibility, plastic or rubber or rubber equivalent, etc. A little research and you should be able to figure out what you need. There are trade offs. The low temp stuff is not that abraison resistant. It is out there if you take the time to look it up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Home Depot, 100 ft, 14/5 600 V, SOOW Cord: $132, delivered to your local store. Connectors: I don't know what you need, but I would guess $20 each. Total $172. Your time: I don't know but gotta be less then $75.

$300+; yes a rip off. Did you have to pay shipping too?

I would use at least a 10 gauge. 8 gauge seems to be what is actually recommended for that current and length.

Can you get away with 14 gauge? Probably, but it is going to get warm. And if it gets covered up with anything, it may melt or catch fire.

300 V rating for 460 V, three phase? NO, NO, NO. A 300 Volt rating IS a 300 Volt rating. I would not use it for 460 Volts. That's more than 150% of the rated Voltage. DON"T DO IT.

If you can, return it and get your money back.

I received today a 100' extension cord advertised as 460volt/3 phase/30 amps. I needed this for a number of machines we don't use very often and get moved around in our building, making an installed, hard-wired-to-each-machine system impractical. I was a bit surprised to see 14 AWG 4-conductor cord that is rated at only 300 volts as marked right on the cord. I don't think of 14 gauge wire as being what I'd want to use to carry 30 amps. Did the seller make a mistake here, or is it a common practice to use 300-volt wire for 460 volts and 14 gauge wire to carry 30 amps? At least the plugs are ok and reflect the advertised voltage, phase, and current, but. Over $300. For 14 gauge wire? I could go to Home Depot and make up the same thing for maybe $100. I think.

Thanks for all the info, I asked seller for refund and they sent ups to pick it up, is gone! My first indication of a discrepancy was when they advertised shipping wt as 42 lbs, and I got 15 lbs! Anyway I'll now get 100' of soow-8/4 from the NH company linked in one post, they avg 5-star reviews, and plugs etc from a place I found on "the river" site where I bought same kind fittings before. I like idea of two 50' cords since several of the machines are within 50' of xformer, and the carrying issue is important to some of our old, arthritic helpers including self.

ebay is full of scams of people selling not what is advertised. and when you try to return there is delay. basically better off trying to get charge card charges reversed as you did not get what you ordered

Thanks, no Eboo nor was I wading in The River, got it from maker in Mi, also makes shot blasters. GM or GW Manufacturing, I forget. The rep seems sincere but yes, if no timely credit, I initiate a Chargeback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back