What's new
What's new

Die thread alignment 1/4-20 stock

pcguy

Plastic
Did a search and came up empty on specifics, so here's my question:

Over the years when I needed to put some thread on some stock rod, I never faced a requirement that the shaft was going to rotate at high speed so I wasn't terribly concerned with the thread alignment.

I've seen some TAT's advertised for this purpose, but they seem overkill for Die thread alignment on 1/4 stock.

Has anyone developed a method of aligning a die on a piece of stock held in a vice?

All replies much appreciated,
Nick

There are die stocks with various means of centering built in. Most I have seen are not very good. A lathe could be used to make a dedicated 1/4 inch die holder with a long pilot hole concentric with the die bore.

Personally, I would single point thread the bar a little oversize and then take a light pass with a good die to get the thread to the desired final size. "Good die" is the key to getting a good thread. Hardware store carbon steel (Ace, etc.) dies do not cut it.

Larry

Some parts I do on occasion (small qty) have 2.5" of 1/4-28.

I made a die holder that has a pilot diameter to keep the stock centered, and
I've also on occasion turned a sacrificial pilot diameter on the end of the stock
so the die starts centered...

Basically just something to hold the die, and a diameter to wrap around your stock so it all
stays centered.. Not a lot to it. A way to drive it wouldn't be the worst thing either.

Its pretty much a mickey mouse approach, but for the few parts here and there, its worked out for me.

Many thanks for all the help. Thought it was important to reply with the method that I used to get this behind me. Turned out that the high rpms didn't contribute that much to the issue, It was the shaft that I was adding the threads to, which was a cheap commercial product and was causing the issue from the other end.

The shaft was originally only 2.5" long and I only needed it to be 1+". So, I put the shaft in the drill press and made a long taper with a file. That allowed me to start the die without much loss(or any)of alignment. When I had cut enough threads, I just cut the taper off. Simple eh? LOL

Thanks again,
Nick

Back