What's new
What's new

Difference between H116 and H321 Aluminium

PDW

Diamond
I'm looking at some aluminium plate in 5083 at a remainder yard. They have some 5083-H116 and some 5083-H321. Can anyone explain in simple terms, first, what the grades mean and second, what effect if any will welding the differing grades together have? I did a very quick google search but didn't find what I wanted to know.

Material is 6.3mm thick or 1/4" in imperial.

The intended use is for a boat hull so assume the heat affected zone will be exposed to salt water.

Thanks.

H116, the H1 portion of the number indicates that the material has been strain hardened only, the 16 indicates the degree of strain hardening which in this case (if I am not mistaken) is somewhere between annealed and quarter hard.

H321, the H3 portion of the number indicates that the material has been strain hardened and then stabilized (a low temp heat treat intended to stabilize the alloy thereby limiting the degree of age softening that will occur), the 21 indicating (once again, I'm not 100% certain about this part) hardness somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 hard.

The H321 will be marginally stronger, HAZ will be essentially annealed with either material. I can't imagine any trouble caused by welding the two grades together. Its the same alloy, just different cold work/heat treat.

**The above drivel is subject to verification by someone who actually knows what he's talking about**

Thanks. I knew it was a marine grade & readily weldable. What I did't know is the difference between H116 & H321, and what effects joining sheets with these properties will have.

H116 seems to be strain hardened only, H321 strain hardened and partially annealed. The tensile strengths and proof stresses seem to be close enough to not be a concern and the chemical composition is the same, so the only effect on the heat affected zone should be that it's fully annealed. Situation normal for aluminium when welded.

Back