What's new
What's new

Difficulty drilling nuts/bolts for safety wire

Honeybadger

Plastic
Hi folks,

I'm an absolute metalworking newbie, so please forgive me if this question seems absurdly silly/simple.

The backstory of my conundrum- it's a bit of a ramble.

I am in the process of rebuilding a honda comstar wheel for a '75 CB400T. It's a split aluminum spoke wheel (two spokes on either side of each of the five points of contact with the rim) with an aluminum rim. One of the joining rivets was loose, and finding replacement wheels is a nightmare, and there is an unbelievably small amount of information out there. People have just been replacing these rims when this happens for decades, and the supply is now running low, and the costs going up, so I decided to look into rebuilding it. Everyone screamed "DON'T DO IT, the rims say 'DO NOT DISASSEMBLE!' The wheel will lose its true and never regain it!" but I figured that the wheel was junk anyways if I screwed it up. So I used my drill press (floor standing, heavy cast iron, chinese made 16 speed belt drive with 220-4000rpm range. It's not milling machine accurate, but it doesn't wobble and feels quite accurate when drilling wood) to drill out the rivets one spoke at a time, checking the wheel on a balancer. No change in the runout, the fitment of the spokes is definitely not under tension. I then proceeded to carefully bore out the rivet holes to an m8 size (less than 1mm of material taken out, it was too big for an m7) and again, everything fits up nice and true.

I was agonizing over the type of bolt to use. I hear all the old tales regarding a lower grade bolt for these applications because they'll "stretch" before failing, but I've also read all the rebuttals regarding the fact that by the time a lower grade bolt stretches to shear, you still won't even hit the shear point of the higher grade (10.9 vs 12.9) in this application. I called ARP and they told me that I was right in that, even for shear load, two bolts side by side, loaded in shear, on an unstressed member of a motorcycle wheel, the higher grade the better, so I went with m8x20 12.9's from a reputable local bolt/nut store. My only concern here is that the bolts are being loaded across the threaded portion, since there is no 20mm bolt with a shoulder at all, but again, the previous hardware was aluminum, the bike isn't heavy, the spokes aren't tension set, and this isn't some racing application, just an old japanese UJM. To prevent any bolts loosening, I plan on using loctite 648, and I'd like to add an extra layer of security (and teach myself a skill) by learning to corner drill nuts and safety wire them.

Now onto the problem -

So now that I have the hardware (m8x20, coarse threaded in grade 12.9) I have been absolutely unable to drill a single corner in any nuts. These small nuts are only accepting of a 1/16th bit. a 3/32nd drills the hole, but chews off the whole corner of the nut, negating any ability to thread safety wire. I have a nut drilling jig with guides for 1/16 and 3/32, my vise is clamped tight, everything looks square, no visible runout in the bit/chuck of my press, using loads of tap oil, I'm using cobalt jobbers (I'd prefer stubs but can't find them) and they're either work hardening so bad that they simply stop drilling and then snap less than 1/4 of the way through, or chip off the teeth of the bit immediately. I've tried speeds ranging from 220rpm to 3000, with no real change in performance, I take firm, small bites, taking care to pull it out completely to eject chips, but in the nut drilling jig, I think chip buildup is a problem. I've broken maybe a dozen bits without successfully drilling a single 1/16th hole.

So I pose this question, with a regular joe drill press, is this possible? for drilling 12.9 grade bolts, will I ever really be able to get this done? My bits are mostly all irwin. I feel like my main problem is that I'm work hardening the cutting surface. How can I prevent this better? I'm using a ton of tap oil and only taking 2-5 second bites of the material.

McMaster-Carr slotted not

McMaster-Carr drilled bolt

Can you use these instead of making your own?

edit: i don't think you will succeed with your setup. Sounds like you need to move to a bridgeport type machine and a solid carbide drill. Maybe not solid carbide, but at least a quality drill with a good coating minimum. The kind you don't want to run in a drill press.

Buy castellated nuts in the size you need. They will look professional for your repair, and will save you time. Go to a machine shop for help on drilling your bolts. Ask them to show you techniques in drilling metals. Your thread will probably be locked since you did not read the guidelines about machinery.

Jim

I'm using cobalt jobbers (I'd prefer stubs but can't find them)
You can easily order shorter drills, McMaster-Carr, or any of a dozen others. I might have some but you'll get them faster from an industrial supplier, I'll look tonight.

My bits are mostly all irwin.
You need better quality.

I feel like my main problem is that I'm work hardening the cutting surface. How can I prevent this better? I'm using a ton of tap oil and only taking 2-5 second bites of the material.
What is the material? Stainless steel will work harden, some grades more than others. Don't know from the 12.9 designation. I have an occasional need to drill grade 8 bolts and have no problems using bargain HSS bits.

The suggestion to buy pre drilled hardware is a good one.

CarlBoyd

I realize that safety wired bolts will look sweet, but in reality, wouldn't permanent loctite be better? No cross holes to weaken the bolts or nuts, and unless the hub gets extremely hot, it should be very effective. I'm not an expert in the products, but here's the description of a "high strength, high temperature" product:

LOCTITE® 272™ High Temperature, High Strength Red Threadlocker withstands temperatures to 450°F. Provides a fast cure on most surfaces, including "as received" fasteners. Recommended for bolts up to 1 1/2" (36 mm) in diameter. Heat and hand tools are required for disassembly.

They state "Torque Prevail on M10 Steel (in./lb.) 220" in the tecnical information.

There could be a better product than this one, it's just the first google "high strength, high temperature" listing.

If you really wanted to avoid the threads in the shear plane, you could go out and find AN (mil spec) bolts that have the length needed, with an unthreaded, full diameter section plus a standard length of thread. Strictly speaking, for an application like this I'd ream the holes to exact size. The shocks that a motorcycle wheel takes are large, and repeated over many millions of cycles. Why did you not just rivet the thing, btw?

There are jigs available to allow you to drill bolts.

bluejig_bolt_head_jig.jpg

If these are through bolts and nuts, Moonlight Machine is correct. Safety wire is a waste of time for this application. Use a self locking nut and/or Loctite. Save the safety wire for fasteners that are screwed into blind holes, where you can't use a locking nut on the other side.

Safety wire holes, especially on small nuts and bolts, are miserable....

They look SOO EASY.. But they suck, they aren't fun, and they aren't easy, especially on a drill press...

McMaster-Carr

These are already drilled for a cotter pin, and looks like they should solve another problem.. They aren't threaded to the head.
3/4" long 5/16-24's have .531 of thread, as do the 1"...

Well, safety wire has different purposes than locknuts and/or loctite. The latter is meant to keep the threaded fastener from loosening. The former (safety wire) is to keep a loose fastener from completely coming out of the joint and going somewhere that it shouldn't. It also shows that the fastener has been tightened. The tighten indication part is probably not needed, and if you use a nylock or somehing similar you probably won't have to worry about the bolt and nut departing from the hole.

Again, though, I'd use AN close-tolerance diameter bolts and would ream the holes. Then again, I'd rivet the thing after reaming.

Well, safety wire has different purposes than locknuts and/or loctite. The latter is meant to keep the threaded fastener from loosening. The former (safety wire) is to keep a loose fastener from completely coming out of the joint and going somewhere that it shouldn't. It also shows that the fastener has been tightened. The tighten indication part is probably not needed, and if you use a nylock or somehing similar you probably won't have to worry about the bolt and nut departing from the hole.

Again, though, I'd use AN close-tolerance diameter bolts and would ream the holes. Then again, I'd rivet the thing after reaming.

I would much rather ride a bike that has nuts and bolts than a bike that has rivets, both being put in by a self acclaimed metalworking newbie....

Safety wire does absolutely nothing to retain bolt tension. All it does is keep you from losing the nut if the retention method fails, and it backs off.

Loctite.

Will you be able to see these bolts? Will you ever need to loosen them again? Is cutting the bolts just below the nut surface and rosette welding them an option?

Just a dipshit opinion but I'd not use safety wire or loctite here.
These bolts will need to re-torqued in the future and you don't want them locked in place.
I know it's just a little 400 but....
If it has not occurred to you I'd alternate directions of your bolts although not a real big deal.

I did not know there was a comstar wheel on a 75, I thought it was 77. Is this a swap?

wow, I didn't expect so much information! I appreciate it very much guys, and apologize if my thread didn't follow the guideline.

here's a picture of the style of wheel. The bolts go on the outside diameter where the rim meets the spokes.

honda-cx500-painting-rear-comstar-wheel-18-inch-aluminium-silver-26.jpg

Castle nuts would be kind of a nightmare, I don't think I could trust myself to get the cotter hole lined up perfectly with the castle under the correct torque load, and cotter pins just wouldn't look great. I'm fairly confident that the loctite 648 will do the job (use it on tapered cranks on rotax 990's), I was mostly wanting to do the safety wire for two reasons: I wanted to try learning the new skill for other applications, and If for some reason the nut comes loose, I don't want it backing off.

I'm not comfortable with rivets because I don't trust my ability to make sure a rivet is secure, and I don't know of any machinists in the area that could help. Bummer my old Boeing roommate moved out.

As for AN bolts, I'm not opposed to the idea, but I simply don't understand much about the metrics for ordering them. They're all imperial, correct? I'm not comfortable stepping the holes out from 8mm any further for the next size up, and a 5/16th would likely not be a flush enough fit.

I'm amazed I had never heard of McMaster-Carr before. I had been using Aircraft Spruce&Specialty, but it's nowhere near as concise as MMC.

So it sounds like the consensus is that this is a futile effort, and that a permanent loctite will do. I certainly believe that, I'm just bummed that I couldn't manage the drilling task with the tools at hand. That does leave me with a question, will there be any issues with using 648 instead of 272? I ask because I already have 648 around for the sprag clutch and crank pin on my old aprilia. I looked up spec sheets and couldn't find any glaring differences beyond temp and load (but the 200in-lb of 272 vs the 3500 PSI of 648 seems like there may be a conversion that I'm not understanding, so the fastening strength may be different)

I guess I'll assemble it with loctite alone and just practice with the extra nuts/bolts I bought assuming that I'd screw things up. Might try picking up some of the fancier, more expensive bits from MMC (would a straight flute, shallow hole bit be able to eject chips well enough traveling down a 5/16 deep guide hole into the material?)

I would much rather ride a bike that has nuts and bolts than a bike that has rivets, both being put in by a self acclaimed metalworking newbie....

I understand that sentiment. Riveting does take skill. But keep in mind that the "newbie" is already doing stuff that experts are expressly advised against. I thought about this a bit, and here's another reason I'd find a good riveting man to do this. One aspect of rivets is that they fill up the hole as they are bucked. This minimizes relative shear motion between the parts. The OP tells us that he's uhhh, well, he's not drilling the holes with a Moore Precicion Tools jig borer. The drilled holes may be oversize, out of round,etc. And a threaded bolt does not expand to fill the hole (in fact, it shrinks slightly in OD when tightened.

So I don't think a naive application of a standard bolt in a drilled hole will work. Sure, initially the wheel will hold together. But after 10 miles? 100 miles? 1000 miles? There will be fearsome shear when a 400lb bike and 200lb rider hits a pothole. I think drilled holes with standard bolts will allow relative motion between the spokes and the rim, rapid wear, loosening , and either an unsatisfactory ride or an unsafe condition.

Honeybadger refers to Carroll Smith's book on fasteners. There's some info in there that's worth a read by the OP.

I'd find a riveter and have that done. I'd be especially persnickety about the type of rivet and the the hole sizing. And I would ream each hole to minimize possible shear movement.

If the OP insists upon bolts and nuts, I'd (again) ream to exact size. There are AN bolts available in precision oversize diameters. I'd try almost for an interference fit. And I'd use AN rated Jet locknuts along with AN bolts. Pic below. All properly torqued. The jetnuts (also called k nuts or kaynuts) have another advantage: they are lighter than nylocks. I think a 12 point AN bolt will also be lighter than a hex.

To go back to the OP's question on safety wire, I think that the wheel will start getting sloppy before there's any danger of an AN (mil spec) rated jet nut from actually backing off and falling off. So I agree with those that say that safety wire would be unnecessary. Might look cool though - you'd have the only bike with that type of setup!

This is a lot more finicky approach. Throwing some grade 8 bolts in there with nylock nuts might give you a ride-able wheel initially, but I believe the extra attention to detail gives the OP a better chance of a wheel that still works in 2000 or 5000 or 20000 miles.

MS21042.JPG

Back