Disk brake turning - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post

btw, i dont get the runout/thickness variation thing. if no runout, no thickness variation.

Correct, but think about it, you could have runout with no thickness variation

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ALL you guys are doing it wrong!! (me too)
    Cut rotors for free Part 1 - YouTube
    hahahaha
    (fast forward to the actual procedure)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting that this is apparently so difficult and fiddly - apparently I did it all wrong:

Some years ago I was replacing the front pads on a Toyota Sienna. I had hoped I got to it in time - my wife had been noticing a scraping sound for a while before letting me know. Sure enough, when I got into it, the rotors were damaged - apparently the "screech indicator" that is supposed to alert to worn pads had not done its job. Problem was, I was already into it, and it was the weekend, and the parts stores were closed, and my wife needed the van on Monday.

Not having another option, I decided to try turning - especially after I checked and verified that there was quite a bit of thickness beyond the minimum required. I mounted the rotors on my 12-1/2 x 30 Cincinnati TrayTop lathe and turned them. I don't recall exactly how I mounted them, but do recall giving attention to the mounting surface to avoid run out. As best I recall, I turned both sides in a single mounting, but didn't have a fancy tool to turn them both at once. I believe I must have used HSS, since that's just about all I had at the time. (I did have a few crappy brazed carbide bits, but they were used / chipped / not very good, so I doubt I used one of those.)

And yet, in spite of all of my ignorance, inappropriate tools, and wrong approach, the rotors turned out beautifully, and the brakes were marvelously smooth from then on; the pulsing they had been exhibiting for some time was completely gone, and they stayed smooth and effective for many 10's of thousands of miles until we finally sold the van. Perhaps I just got lucky??

4. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, awake, sounds like you did good!

When cutting with a single cutter, people are sometimes reluctant to cut deep enough and the cutter tends to walk over runout. Cut a little deeper and it will cut straighter. That, along with your meticulous setup gave you good results!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the blessings of ignorance - I plunge ahead, not knowing that it can't be done!