What's new
What's new

Dispense DI water from 55 gallon drum

kb0thn

Stainless
We use de-ionized water for coolant water makeup and some electronics assembly. Not a lot. If the lathe and the mill get topped up weekly, it's about 5 gallons at a go. So I am trying buying DI water in 55 gallon drums rather than making it. Or buying it in the 5 gallon pails that I used to.

I'd like an easy way to dispense the water into 5 gallon bucket or something easy to carry by hand.

It seems to me that I could slightly pressurize the plastic drum and then have a siphon tube at the bottom as a water pickup ... connect through bung and attach to a hose. Is that all there is to it? My understanding is that drums are only good for about 3 PSIG of pressure. I was thinking of a small relieving type pressure regulator that shop air could be plugged into. Probably will put a pressure relief valve set to 5 PSI so if the regulator fails, the tank won't rupture.

Good idea? Bad idea? Terrible idea? Trying to avoid $$$ stainless pump or slow slow slow hand plastic pump. But don't want to blow up the shop and kill everybody.

Thanks,

-Jim

55 gallon plastic drums? Our ranch chemicals come in 30 gallon plastic drums. A drum dolly that tilts over will hold it high enough to get a five gallon bucket under it. Water would flow pretty fast through a 3/4 tap, that would have to be near 3 lbs pressure. So regulated 3 lb air should work also.

STS Rollover Cradle – Drum Turner

As mentioned above. Fab one up or buy one. I saw $1500 on one site. Rip off IMO. The idea is there. Cleanest way to dispense IMO. We have lighter and cheaper not so nice ones. Dunno the brand. They work, but for a plastic drum the sides tend to squash in so one with a half pipe to support the drum properly would be the go. The one pictured supports on the ends which would probably be ok. Ours sits on one end and the body so tends to squash in.

Can put a bigger tap on the larger hole up to 2" I think. On a steel drum. Plastic drums can have different PITA threads. Remember to put the tap on before rolling, lol.

Last edited:
the barrel pressured siphon works great. I used a home-built version for 8 years at our race track to pump Methanol for the traction compound, and they still use that method today. We ran 6lbs and never had a failure- even when somebody messes with the regulator and the operator doesn't catch it until the drum with 12lbs in it becomes round on all sides,....

Steel drums are usually rated to a minimum of 15 psi working pressure (burst is higher).

Plastic I have no idea but should be at least 5 psi or more.

Barring that option the jiggler siphons are great and only cost a few dollars (IIRC $7 at Menards).

We used one of those tipover hand trucks for kerosene, for the torpedo heaters. Worked great with a spring loaded drum faucet.

So here it is.

20170818_091822.jpg

3 to 27 PSI regulator. 0 to 20 PSI pressure relief valve. Tee fitting welded to drilled 2" NPT hex plug. 1/2" SS tubing for dip tube. 1/2" ball valve.

Seems to work. Need to get a pressure gauge on it. First pressurization saw water leaking from the other 2" bung and the drum changing shape. Doesn't take much pressure, I guess.

Thanks for ideas!

-Jim

5/8" hose, 6' long, put it down in the drum far as you can, then put your thumb over the end to hold vacuum, pull it up out of the bung and down toward the bucket, let go of the end, should siphon just fine.

We make our own DI water. We use a 55 Gal drum with a cheap pond pump. Pump has been submerged for 3 years. No rust or other issues. Use food grade clear tubing.

Just got me thinking, you could put a drum on the condensate drain of any air conditioners in the building. That's distilled water if you think about it. Maybe a little bit of dust floating in it.

Back