What's new
What's new

Drilling wood

J. DeBrular

Cast Iron
I want to make a collet rack for my 2J collets and I will need to drill several 1 5/8 holes. I hate to use a hole saw becuase they wobble too much. A auger type or a paddle bit would work fine but where can I find one that size?

I recommend a spade bit, probably what you meant by paddle bit. They should be available at any good hardware store or home center. If you want to get fancy, you can grind a spade bit to the exact custom diameter you want to fit your collets. You could even get fancier and grind a matching taper on the bit so your collets are held by the taper.

With spade bits, you'll want to back up each hole with a sacrificial backer board to prevet splintering.

Jim

Matt's got it.

Clean, accurate, and you can drill an incomplete circle or at angles to the surface (with a drill press or mill).

Charlie.

If it's only several holes, why can't you drill them close to size with whatever bit you have and use a simple, sharp, boring bar/head to finish to size with your machine tools?

This is the "practical" machinist site...yes?

A slot across the bottom of a 3/4" round, piece of annealed file filed up to fit and hardened, a bolt thru to clamp. Helps one to learn about grinding cutting edges that cut - without drawing the temper

Such a tool can be altered over the years - smaller, differing point angles, etc.

Or as pointed out above, be a good American and just buy something :D

A coping saw will do this too, just not quite as pretty.

John

In my opinion Forstner bit is the best way to go by a long shot. You can find a 1 5/8" at any good woodworking supply. Grizzly should have a cheap Chink one if you are only going to use it once.

What kind of wood are you going to use?

Grits

While I prefer Jennings pattern augers, the largest I have is 1 1/2". While Jennings probably made larger augers, I've not witnessed one larger than 1 1/2", other than ships augers. So, a Forstner is probably the bit of choice, and the reason I say that is that it offers a 'stable' clean cut.

Grits asks a super question regarding the wood used. The oak families, work Forstners hard---feed slowly. If you are using standard cabinet grade plywood, Forstners dull pretty quickly, too--but if only a few holes, the Forstner should be OK, I'd think.

Now if you are using cocobolo or rosewood, you'll notice the Forstner getting harder to cut after three complete holes. Go 'real' slow...

You also have options to complete each hole: 1) have a backer piece of wood so you won't get tearout at the bottom of the Forstner cut; or 2) you can cut the hole nearly to depth, allowing the bit point to break through, but not the entire bit--then finish the hole from the opposite side allowing for a clean hole.

Joe

I use and like Freud carbide-tipped Forstner bits. I've used them for years in the tailstock of my woodturning lathes drilling holes 7"~10" deep in end grain [walnut, cherry, hard maple, zebra, bubinga, morado, various rosewoods, etc.] I've never regretted investing the money in them.

Before going the Freud carbide route, my previous best solution was a home-made system using CPM 10V flat blades held in a slotted shank. The CPM 10V wore reasonably well, and this arrangement was extremely easy to re-sharpen.

Forstner bit. Clean accirate holes on location and to size.

But you may wish for a little clearance. An adjustable wood bit cut off and used in the drill press chuck will work almost as well. They take a fair amount of torque to drive and you need to clamp the material to a back-up board so the work doesn't splinter on the break-out.

Johnoder,

Please give a brief description, (PM me if you want), of how you would anneal and then harden a file. Assume I am ignorant, but not stupid (hopefully !) :rolleyes:

Thanks...
John

Forstners are the best but an alternative is a Irwin Step Bit, these are a very handy thing to have around the shop for wood, plastic, or metal. Makes a nice hole with out grabing and will countersink too! I use mine all the time, Great for sheet metal and plexiglas, makes a nice round hole without grabing. Not cheap tho, might be around 40 bucks for this size.

I use a wood fly cutter, sort of trapaning bit. it has one flying cutting edge that is adjustable from 20 - 90mm Diam. Pros, cheap and wide range, easily sharpened. Cons, needs a pilot hole, needs to be used from both sides, so ragged join is inside the wood. Works best at very low speeds. One of the best tools I have ever bought!
Frank

Just thought I used some 3/4" foam filled plastic planks. I think they are meant to be used for trimming Plastic clad houses. Bought about 40' of 9" planks for £10 ($20) from a scrap yard. It drills like a dream and has a wipe clean surface.
Frank

Back