What's new
What's new

Dixon/Dickson Tool Holder

stuball48

Stainless
I was visiting my watch maker friend, W R Smith today, and noticed a Dixon tool holder on his Myford Super 7 lathe. I do not think I have ever seen a Dixon tool holder until today. Are they good, bad, or average? Any experience?

[ 07-18-2007, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: stuball48 ]

I have two sets of Myford Dickson quick change tool posts and holders. They were made for the Myford 7" lathes and also used on the Emco V10 Maximat lathes. I used mine on 9" Hardinge lathes. They are excellent tools and work very well indeed. There are several sizes of these units, for lathes of different sizes.

Tony's website has a Dickson page: Dickson info

RDG Tools in England sell a lookalike set. Their price is so low that I suspect they are Asian copies. RDG Tools Myford tooling

You might have seen some L. Vanice tool posts on Mr. Smith's watch lathes.

Larry

all 3 lathes at my shop have these styles of tool holders.

me and the boss was to slim all of the posts so there all at the same height. so we dont have to adjust the tool height

i just have to thing of a way to measure this

I have Dickson quick change tool holders on both my lathes, the S.00 size on my Myford ML7 and the S.2.T size on my Colchester Triumph 2000. I wouldn't be without them and highly recommend them. They are the mutt's nuts of tool holders.

Malc.

[ 07-18-2007, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Malc-Y ]

stuball48, my link to Tony's site (above) will give you a table of Dickson sizes and let you figure what size will work with your lathe. Measure the height from the top of your compound to the lathe centerline and compare to the G dimensions on the chart. I had to use 3/8 thick spacers to make the Myford size toolpost work on my 9" Hardinge lathes.

Larry

Bison do a copy of the Dickson, J&L in the UK sell them. Not cheap but probably quite a bit cheaper than from 600 group and all the Bison stuff I've seen has been good.
I've heard that *some* copies aren't too brilliant.

Tim

all 3 lathes at my shop have these styles of tool holders.

me and the boss was to slim all of the posts so there all at the same height. so we dont have to adjust the tool height
I had a TOS SN40 (400mm swing) and a Colchester Student (about 13" swing) both with S2 size Dickson holders, I had them packed to to give the same tool height & made a batch of tool holders, that was a great time saver.
I've changed both lathes now, so that system isn't viable any more. I have an S2 on a CVA (monarch 10EE size), but that only works with the shallowest toolholders (the holders come in different depths). My other lathe is a DSG 17", & the S2 really isn't man enough for that.

Tim

I think you can get info on the Dicksons from www.crawfordcollets.com

On edit I realise this link no longer gives info on all the Crawford products.As it has some interesting bits on Pratt Burnerd I will leave it up.
I have wasted half an hour searching the 600 Group website for a link to the Crawford and Dickson sites and found nothing.

'Dickson`s part of the 600 group therefore good but expensive.RDG`s will be Chinese and therefore crap.'

They are actually OK, or mine is at least.
I've sourced several items from RDG this year and have to say that the quality is always good and often better than expected, their service is excellent.

I'll probably remake some of the moving parts at some point in the future but rigidity is better than with the standard tool clamp and I now have all of the tools I regularly use on holders, ready for instant use.

Regards,
Nick

I can't speak for the Dickson toolpost copies, but the quality of product from RDG is extremely variable.

Low cost items and cuting tools etc. appear to be fine, but cast items and chucks that I've seen (and unfortunately bought) have been poorly made and as rough as a bears arse.

Service is good though, I'll grant them that.

Peter

Chronos engineering in the UK appear to sell a lot of Vertex (Taiwanese)products, the few items I have purchased have been quite decent in terms of accuracy and finish. Their Dickson toolholder copies are quite well finished & were quite tight on a genuine Dickson block, in preference to being loose.

regards

Brian

I bought something from RDG and paid for next day delivery.Despite daily telephone calls nobody called back and the item took a week to turn up.It had been sent out by ordinary post.I won`t use them again.If I`m paying extra for next day delivery it`s because I need it next day not a week down the road.

I went to two UK model engineering exhibitions this year and bought my QCTP at the second, I bought from RDG partly because I had a discount card, but also as the Chronos unit appeared totally identical to the RDG QCTP I stuck with a company from whom I've had great value & service.
I never buy unbranded 3 or 4 jaw chucks without seeing & feeling them first.
Many other products stocked by both also appear to be from the same source, not a surprise really.
Regards,
Nick

Back