What's new
What's new

Diy motorized powerfeed for small lathe?

marino1310

Plastic
Hi, im new here and not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I have a smithy 1220 ltd 3 in one lathe mill. I wanted to add a variable speed powerfeed to it for awhile and was wondering if you guys have any advise on it?

As it sits, the smithy has a 2 in one leadscrew that can engage with the half nut for threading or the worm gear can engage with the keyway notched in the leadscrew for powerfeed. My only issue is that powerfeed requires you to mess with the change gears for speed adjustment, which takes forever on this lathe. So I was wondering if there is any kind of "universal motor" that I can buy relatively cheap and attach it to the lathe for a variable speed drive. I plan on attaching it to the end of the lathe by cutting a keyway into the end of the leadscrew and putting the motor between the screw and the handwheel.

Hi, not to be rude but this isn't really the right forum for this sort of question. If you search Google for "home shop machinist forums" you'll find a much more applicable group of people to help you.

Best of luck!

Not sure if your machine is one of the verboten home shop types (because I've seen them in engineering dept. model shops) but if you go that route make sure to incorporate some give to the system in case of a crash. Perhaps an aluminum shear pin, a clutch, or even a flex coupler with a rubber spider.

Hi, im new here and not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I have a smithy 1220 ltd 3 in one lathe mill. I wanted to add a variable speed powerfeed to it for awhile and was wondering if you guys have any advise on it?

As it sits, the smithy has a 2 in one leadscrew that can engage with the half nut for threading or the worm gear can engage with the keyway notched in the leadscrew for powerfeed. My only issue is that powerfeed requires you to mess with the change gears for speed adjustment, which takes forever on this lathe. So I was wondering if there is any kind of "universal motor" that I can buy relatively cheap and attach it to the lathe for a variable speed drive. I plan on attaching it to the end of the lathe by cutting a keyway into the end of the leadscrew and putting the motor between the screw and the handwheel.

The simple solution is to get a cordless variable speed reversing drill and put a 1/4" hex input to 3/8" square drive output adapter in the chuck. Then get the appropriate size hex socket to fit the nut that holds the handwheel on the carriage feed. Be sure the nut is tight. It is cheap and works and will not hurt the integrity of the original design of your excellent quality machine. Out of respect for the many avid Smithy collectors in the next century, keep it in pristine original condition.

IRWIN Tools 1899887 Impact Performance Series Hex Shank to Square Drive Socket Adapter, 1/4-Inch Hex to 3/8-Inch Square, 3-Inch Length - - Amazon.com

Larry

Hi, not to be rude but this isn't really the right forum for this sort of question. If you search Google for "home shop machinist forums" you'll find a much more applicable group of people to help you.

Best of luck!
Shhh !
Now Traditional tools is gonna beat you up....

It's OK, I've built a safe space using the office couch cushions. He can't hurt me when I'm in the Fortress of Cushitude.

Would you believe "cushitude" is a word you can find on Google?
Not a part of Monarchist's riddle dictionary?

It's OK, I've built a safe space using the office couch cushions. He can't hurt me when I'm in the Fortress of Cushitude.

Would you believe "cushitude" is a word you can find on Google?

After that statement I had to try it on Bing, the search engine I use.

No results on Bing. At least, not until now. If it starts turning up there I'll know who to blame, err, thank :D

After that statement I had to try it on Bing, the search engine I use.

No results on Bing. At least, not until now. If it starts turning up there I'll know who to blame, err, thank :D

"Bing".. even has a hard time finding "Earth" on a bad day. Great aspirations, erratic results. Can't be bothered.

Duckduckgo at least finds the Biblical Cushite/Kushite peoples.

Qwant finds the Cushy Family Orchestra

Yahoo (heir to Altavista ++) finds both of the above.

Hi, im new here and not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I have a <redacted> . I wanted to add a variable speed powerfeed to it

Hardinge is where you may want to begin your research. They did this as a matter of routine in significant volume.

Small gearmotors exist such as Bodine and Bison - "hollow shaft" right-angle and others - in the used and NOS market. CNC 'kits' and their useful components exist, even if it is not in your plan to BE "CNC".

Powering via the existing leadscrew is not the only way - in fact, not even one of the better ways. Half nuts are cumbersome. They have backlash. They wear fast in this use (DAMHIKT). They make lousy clutches.

Take point, use your eyes.

Hand drills and small gearmotors ?

Go "uptown" with some steppers, and Mach 3....:D

Should be able to get (5) maybe (6) axis going...
all at the same time even. :crazy:

I have done what you are describing. A Southbend and my 14 inch Rockwell. It turned out very well. No more gear noise, and variable speeds. I used a DC gearmotor and controller. Hooked to the lead screw with a chain and sprocket. If you want to do threading, just remove the master link, takes about 1 minute. Bob

I'm going to graft small stepper motors to my fingers, so I can do ten-axis filing to micron accuracy.

Or at least have the spiffiest fingernails ever...

CNC must have already displaced manual. YEARS ago.. small electronics lines when components were still 'discrete' and hand assembled or serviced - there was a comprehensive collection of tweezers, straight and diagonal cutters and such that slipped over a finger tip instead of having conventional handles.

Took some practice, but one switched fingers rather than pick-up and aside the tools, lather, rinse, repeat, all shift.

I just got the vilest of cramps in my hands and arms, so.. back to basics..

Back