What's new
What's new

OT- Work space cubicles - How to change fabric on the wall sections ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I say fabric but it's almost like carpet in a way. Got some Steelcase cubicle wall sections I bought at auction years ago for nothing... might use except I hate the light blue color of the fabric on the walls. Anyone have any experience with changing this to a different color ?

differnt brands are made different ways but basically the edge channels pry off and the fabric is captured in a channel. pull the fabric out and stretch new push into channel. I have seen some that is stapled and some that is glued. but I think most is just stretched like an artist canvas. I have seen re-conditioners take these apart, repaint the frames and re-stretch the fabric. The cores are sometimes fiberglass board, sometimes paper honeycomb and I have seen partical board. Years ago I had a pile I gave to a scrapper to get rid off, and he was nice enough to leave a pile if partical board behind.

M

fabric covering work space partitions is often dyed hemp from India
Steelcase is a better brand and yours may be higher end
mounting substrate is typically cardboard sometimes backed with sticky polyfoam
but the fabric may be attached only by 3M upholstery spray--this prevents creep
the important thing is to have no seam and maintain weave bias as viewed
somewhat enjoyable to do

an offer---

One decade ago when I redid my office I bought a roll of Lantal wool
from a wholesaler never used it
swiss woven 95% wool 5% nylon iirc
aviation grade
a full roll--yours for the asking
just cover ups shipping of about 95 lbs
135 cm vertical 50? yd total
website

Lantal - Aircraft

pics

jh

Attachments

• 100_5041[1].jpg
    100_5041[1].jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,482
  • 100_5043[1].jpg
    100_5043[1].jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,203
  • 100_5042[1].jpg
    100_5042[1].jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 623
  • 100_5040[1].jpg
    100_5040[1].jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 669
  • 100_5045[1].jpg
    100_5045[1].jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 764
You can cover instead of removing it with fabric wall coveringsfabric wall coverings are fabric wrapped panels that made of glass wool core and acoustic fabric. Other core materials such as polyester wool, melamine foam and PU foam are also available. Lots of colors are available and two popular edge details square and bevel are recommended. The installation of fabric wall covering is quite simple: Wood batten with glue and nails.

Now I'm left with the burning urge to know if Milacron ever finished the refinishing of his cubicle dividers.

We need an update!

[Note: Burning urge may also be related to last night's burrito...]

Back