What's new
What's new

Do-All gauge block replacement blocks

laminar-flow

Stainless
I have a set of Do-All gauge blocks and it was apparently ordered without the fractional pieces. Is there anywhere to get original Do-All blocks?

If not, where can I get some fractional blocks?

I have a set of Do-All gauge blocks and it was apparently ordered without the fractional pieces. Is there anywhere to get original Do-All blocks?

If not, where can I get some fractional blocks?

I've been filling my sets for some years with used but calibrated ones from these folks:

Previously Owned Measuring Equipment - Waterford, Michigan - A.A. Jansson, Inc.

They also run an eBay 'store'.

My Dearborn Gage set, bought used, were already partially DoAll and Webber from fill-ins ages ago. Not really fussed about "brand" so long as the shape/style is the same and sizes are what they are supposed to be.

You do realize this stuff is all still useful, but "only barely so" compared to modern and FASTER means of measuring?

What is a "fractional gage block"? Does that mean like 1/4"? I'm sorta being a smart ass, but I haven't really seen those, so now I just want to know if they are real things.

I've been filling my sets for some years with used but calibrated ones from these folks:

Previously Owned Measuring Equipment - Waterford, Michigan - A.A. Jansson, Inc.

They also run an eBay 'store'.

My Dearborn Gage set, bought used, were already partially DoAll and Webber from fill-ins ages ago. Not really fussed about "brand" so long as the shape/style is the same and sizes are what they are supposed to be.

You do realize this stuff is all still useful, but "only barely so" compared to modern and FASTER means of measuring?
What faster way to check a gap than with a gauge block? You could fuss around with a groove micrometer, adjustable parallel and micrometer, or just see if a gauge block fits in the slot. Done. They're also a simple and easy way to set go/no-go adjustable "C" gauges.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

What is a "fractional gage block"? Does that mean like 1/4"? I'm sorta being a smart ass, but I haven't really seen those, so now I just want to know if they are real things.

Prolly just gaps in the set. Or - very common - he is indeed missing the 'most used' so often taken away to be used as standards to check other metrology. And perhaps missing the 'wear' blocks?

Those are basically what I had to backfill.

I had also added a set of 'mediums' as well as clamping kit for long stacks, just also added a set of the LONG blocks, can 'theoretically' get up to over 90 inches now.

BFD.

Longest granite plate here is only four feet. But... at least I can 'qualify' a mic or caliper or bespoke gage as well as I'll ever need that, so.. done with acquiring any more such 'treasures'.

Well.. maybe a decent Cadillac Gage Pla-Chek?

Old men. Old Iron. Old habits.

:)

Place I used to work we had some fractional gage blocks, I mean that because they had pieces broken off them, so they were only a fraction of a gage block.

But seriously, I have yet to come across a gage block set that included the fractional ones. It would seem their useage would be so limited that it isn't worth the trouble.

There were 7 pieces added to the 81 piece set = 88. They added 3 blocks .100025, .10005, .100075 and 4 blocks 1/16, 5/64, 3/32 & 7/64.

These blocks split the tenth 4 times making a "basic" odd 64th doable.

Good louck,
Matt

There were 7 pieces added to the 81 piece set = 88. They added 3 blocks .100025, .10005, .100075 and 4 blocks 1/16, 5/64, 3/32 & 7/64.

These blocks split the tenth 4 times making a "basic" odd 64th doable.

Good louck,
Matt

Well now how can a smart ass like me respond to that? :toetap::)

I have a few of the Bakelite DoAll gage block boxes, all missing a few blocks.. There are lots of unused slots... I doubt if many or any sets were ever shipped full.. Sort of difficult for me to understand the need for fractional blocks...

My set apparently did not come with the 1/16, 5/64, 3/32, 7/64 and a .100. I will check with Previously Owned Inspection Equipment.

Please. A.A. Jansson. Minor legend they are.

They can still MAKE gage blocks to order too, y'know. "Cheaper" you can surely find if you wait and seek LONG enough for orphans.

Jansson goods cost a bit more, but they are dead-nuts reliable 'as represented'.

Prolly just gaps in the set. Or - very common - he is indeed missing the 'most used' so often taken away to be used as standards to check other metrology. And perhaps missing the 'wear' blocks?

Those are basically what I had to backfill.

I had also added a set of 'mediums' as well as clamping kit for long stacks, just also added a set of the LONG blocks, can 'theoretically' get up to over 90 inches now.

BFD.

Longest granite plate here is only four feet. But... at least I can 'qualify' a mic or caliper or bespoke gage as well as I'll ever need that, so.. done with acquiring any more such 'treasures'.

Well.. maybe a decent Cadillac Gage Pla-Chek?

Old men. Old Iron. Old habits.

:)

I happen to really like my HeightMaster, I'm only 31 ya grouch. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

They can be handy as all-get-out vs struggling with loose goods, even with decent clamp-sets, and don't take up a lot of storage space, so yazz... still on my "shopping list".

I got lucky. This one popped up locally on CL with matching 12" riser...traded for a 9mm pistol I hated.

I got lucky. This one popped up locally on CL with matching 12" riser...traded for a 9mm pistol I hated.

I should try to do that with a 92AF decorating its case and not much else.
Don't "hate" it. Not really all that much wrong with the handgun itself.
Puny cartridge it is chambered for, rather.

Would prefer a cleaner gap between the last-ditch, up-close-and-personal-only Walther .380's and the workaday .45's is all.

Back