What's new
What's new

Do-all Surface Grinders

ewlsey

Diamond
I'm looking at a Do-all 8X20 automatic surface grinders (hydraulic). There's not much info on Do-all machines. Are they any good? Did they make these machines or are they re-branded like the mills? Are parts available?

I've got a G10, which I believe is about 8 x 20. It's solid as a rock. I would guess it was made in the '60s. I don't believe they were rebranded, they were made in Des Plains.

I'm looking at a Do-all 8X20 automatic surface grinders (hydraulic). There's not much info on Do-all machines. Are they any good? Did they make these machines or are they re-branded like the mills? Are parts available?

They made them. Good stuff, usually, back in the day, and to good, tight, specs.
My best surface plate is a DoAll, and a fair percentage of my gage blocks as well.

They are ( to quote someone I know ) "Hella Stout!"

I've used a number of them over the years. I'd take one in a heartbeat. They tend to see a LOT of use due to how well built they were, so make sure it is not worn and lifting at the ends of travel. ( which is the common condition with them, used )

Bill,
What effects to the wheels? I didn't know of other grinders with this option, but it sure works great.

"right here on PM". Seek and ye shall find.

One concern was whether - or not - pervasive coolant INSIDE a wheel's porous structure affected the resistance to heat differentials (steam pop) or other shock - or if it might chemically weaken the bonding of the abrasive.

My recollection is that it did nothing negative at all, just cost a tad more to implement.

As I have not (yet) even bought a grinder, and may never, all that has become "stale" info in my own wetware.

You'll want to be more current with it, backstory and present-day practice.

AFAIK, "through" wheel coolant distribution did not go away, and is still in use, brand-new CNC abrasive systems, more than one maker.

Usual disclaimer added - I have been wrong before, etc.

Back