What's new
What's new

Do I really need a 5-Axis for this Project?

whosurbuddha

Plastic
Hello everyone!

First, just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts on here - tons of amazing insight and knowledge! (And, I hope this post is on the correct thread)

I've tried uploaded a STEP file with no luck, so I have attached a few pictures. I'd be happy to email the STEP file to anyone interested in assisting with this question.

Basically, we need to clarify if it's possible to make these parts on a 3/4-axis machine? My thought was we can mill one side, then switch to a new side, and so on. If this is not possible, I am assuming our only other option is a 5-axis machine?

If it matters, materials used > Polycarbonate, plexiglass, and carbon fiber. The watch band (rubber) would not be milled, just the watch case and associated parts.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

I don't see anything there that couldn't be done with 3-axis and multiple setups. You might end up with 4 or 6 setups on 3-axis mill, while 5-axis could do it in 2 setups. But unless you are doing real volume it wouldn't be worth the cost. (Based on your pictures...)

Back