What's new
What's new

Do you have your commerical drivers license - is it a good investment?

snowman

Diamond
After the last auction, and fifteen trips back and forth, I'm thinking that my CDL might be a reasonable investment. My neighbor has a landscaping business, and renting a dump truck and trailer from him for the day wouldn't be an issue.

I know that every state is different, but is it too big of a PITA to pursue for the "occasional" use, or is it something that once you have it, becomes pretty useful?

Do you really need a CDL for occasional Non-Commercial use of a dump truck? I had a CDL for many years and found it nothing more than an added expense. As I remember a physical was required very couple of years, and the renewal fee wasn't cheap. There weren't many occasions when I needed to drive anything of a nature that required a CDL. Even if I did drive my own dump truck or tow truck a CDL wasn't required unless I was doing it for commercial reasons. Also be aware that there are several classes of CDL's. Everything from driving a delivery van to special classifications for hauling hazardous waste or radioactive materials. If you're getting a CDL it's issued for a particular type of vehicle. A classification for driving a straight truck with hydraulic brakes is different from the one required for a vehicle with air brakes, and one for driving a combination vehicle is different from either of the afore mentioned.

I have had my class A cdl for a number of years. It was a hassle and a bit expensive to get, so I do what it takes to maintain it. Besides, the older I get, getting a physical every 2 years probably isn't a bad thing.

I no longer have the dump truck and backhoe trailer, but I still have my one ton pickup and a heavy duty trailer for moving the occasional machine. Any trailer loaded to more than 10k gvw, and you need a class A cdl, commercial or not, unless for ag, as mentioned above.

Then can we say that the 20,000 pound of iron on the back of a goose-neck is for a farm repair shop, and move machine tools without a CDL?
In Texas you can't get more that 3 tickets in 5 years with a CDL or it will be revoked. Also you can't take defensive driving.

Read exemption #3

General applicability. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Search for
Examples: Medical Form, 391.53, 391

Up All Regulations
Up Part 390

< 390.1 390.5 >
Related Links
Disclaimer
Interpretation
Help
Subpart A - General applicability and definitions

§ 390.3General applicability.
(a) The rules in subchapter B of this chapter are applicable to all employers, employees, and commercial motor vehicles, which transport property or passengers in interstate commerce.
(b) The rules in part 383, Commercial Driver's License Standards; Requirements and Penalties, are applicable to every person who operates a commercial motor vehicle, as defined in §383.5 of this subchapter, in interstate or intrastate commerce and to all employers of such persons.
(c) The rules in part 387, Minimum Levels of Financial Responsibility for Motor Carriers, are applicable to motor carriers as provided in § 387.3 or § 387.27 of this subchapter.
(d) Additional requirements. Nothing in subchapter B of this chapter shall be construed to prohibit an employer from requring and enforcing more stringent requirements relating to safety of operation and employee safety and health.
(e) Knowledge of and compliance with the regulations. (1) Every employer shall be knowledgeable of and comply with all regulations contained in this subchapter which are applicable to that motor carrier's operations.
(2) Every driver and employee shall be instructed regarding, and shall comply with, all applicable regulations contained in this subchapter.
(3) All motor vehicle equipment and accessories required by this subchapter shall be maintained in compliance with all applicable performance and design criteria set forth in this subchapter.
(f) Exceptions. Unless otherwise specifically provided, the rules in this subchapter do not apply to—
(1) All school bus operations as defined in §390.5, except for the provisions of §§ 391.15(f), 392.80, and 392.82 of this chapter.
(2) Transportation performed by the Federal government, a State, or any political subdivision of a State, or an agency established under a compact between States that has been approved by the Congress of the United States;
(3) The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;
(4) The transportation of human corpses or sick and injured persons;

"A CDL is required for anything other than agricultural use."
That ain't necessarily so. Check out the Michigan DMV web site for the appropriate info.

I have a current CDL "B" with M,X and P endorsements.
A "B" is for single unit vehicles over 26,001 lb. GVWR. I can also tow a trailer under 10,000 lb. GVWR.

The X endorsement is for HazMat, which I'll not be renewing....it'$$$ a Govt. rip off!
The P endorsement is for passengers, which I don't know how I got as I never tested for it.
The M endorsement is for motorcycles.

I'm up for renewal in '14 and will be keeping the CDL as it might come in handy at some point in the future.
As to a medical card, I haven't had one since '08 when I quit commercial driving.

A straight truck with hydraulic brakes and a GVWR 26,000 lb. and under does not require a CDL (think Penske, Hertz,
your buddy's dump truck, etc.).

You will have to perform a road test in an appropriate vehicle for the class of CDL you are applying for. In many states you will also have to perform pre-trip inspection and maneuverability tests as well. Once you have the CDL it is renewed like a regular Driver's License.......written test, eye test, pay fees.

If you're just going to haul your own shit, and your buddy's dump is under 26,000 lb. GVWR, you really don't need a CDL. If you haul someone else's shit along with yours, and they're paying you, technically you need a CDL, a medical card, and need to keep a Driver's Log.

Rex

Last edited:
The weights and stuff got pretty much standardized by the feds quite a few years back, the states with actual standards and the dot got fed up with all the problems with the billbob get it out of a crackerjack box states causing wrecks.

now the one thing is you are held to those cdl standards even in your car.

I have had a CDL since it was grandfathered in from a chauffeurs license. With all the BS heaped on CDL drivers, I would resist getting a CDL if at all possible. As 72bwhite says, you are subject to many of the more stringent CDL penaltys even when you are driving your personal car. If your CDL is revoked there is no way for you to get a standard class C license before the end of the revocation period.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I'm better off just buying a used F250 and a big trailer.

The dump does require a class A once you put the trailer on it, without the trailer it wouldn't really be of any value.

For certain equipment you need the CDL, but there are also state commercial licenses. Usually known as chauffeurs licences, they cover driving for commercial purposes that does not involve equipment requiring a CDL.

They are for messengers, courier delivery people, taxi drivers, etc. Anyone who "operates a vehicle in furtherance of a commercial enterprise", but which involves ordinary vehicles.

Technically, if your boss sends you to pick up something from a vendor, you are "furthering a commercial enterprise" and should have a chauffeurs licence. I suspect that last is not enforced, and there may be an exemption if it is not a customary part of your job.

It might be useful and "worth it" to have that license type. Especially if you often deliver parts to customers. They are not very expensive, and involve generally another written exam.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I'm better off just buying a used F250 and a big trailer.

The dump does require a class A once you put the trailer on it, without the trailer it wouldn't really be of any value.

Not really on the F250/trailer, you should get the truck to match the type of hauling you need to do, IMO.

At some point it seems you need to have a CDL to drive certain types of vehicles, due to weight, or air brakes as an example, as you point out about a dump with a trailer. Most dumps have air brakes.

An F250 is not safe to haul a 20,000# load, IMO. Because you'll need a 24,000 GVW trailer, since the trailer will weight at least 4,000-5,000# for that type of load. I realize most trailer have assisted brakes, but still, that's a lot of weight for a small truck to muscle around.

Don't forget that weight is a big factor, and in most states the registration of the vehicle reflects that. You basically have to pay registration based on the amount of weight you will tow. Commercial vehicles are also more costly in that regard. But it doesn't stop there, if you have a CDL I've been told that many of the fines are higher also...and requires medical tests and testing...you're also limited on the hours that you can drive legally before resting.

There really is nothing good about a CDL other than the ability to drive a vehicle that requires it.

I was looking into a CDL last year, but concluded that there is nothing good about it, it will only cost you money. If you get caught skipping a scale, it could be costly.

I have an F450 with hydraulic brakes. This is actually a kind of sweet spot in that it doesn't require a CDL, and it has a GVW of 15,500 and it weighs 7500#.

BTW, there is a class of truck that has about 24,000 GVW with hydraulic brakes. A friend modified an International LoadStar water delivery truck and cut the entire rear off down to the floor and made a log hauler out of it. Those are about the largest you drive without a CDL, probably get about 16,000# payload. That's about the largest payload you can get without getting a CDL.

FWIW, a flatbed is nice if you have a lift. They have large payloads and can haul pretty large machinery in themselves. They can haul a trailer if needed...but still, when you start getting up into the 16,000-20,000 loads, a 7500# truck ain't much. You really should get a dump/similar truck with air brakes and a proper trailer.

It really gets down to the amount of weight you need/plan to haul.

Cheers,
Alan

I had Class A with all endorsements for over 20 years and when I went to renew it the last time because I didn't have a current Medical Card they would not renew it.
I get annual physical but not DOT Physical. I don't drive Semi's anymore so it's saving me money!
They did say that if I got the Med Card and paid the additional fees they would reinstate it.

I can only speculate on this since I am not familiar with other states, Since it is a Federal CDL I will go with it is the same in all states.

Any vehicle over 10,000 lb. GVW you must have a medical card to operate it on the highway.
If you are a diabetic and take insulin via a shot you cannot have a CDL. (tablets are allowed for now)
You do not need a CDL to drive the rental trucks providing they are under 26,000 pounds, yet you do need a medical card! (if it has air brakes you need an air brake endorsement) This is why most of the rentals have "juice brakes".
If you have a trailer being pulled by your pickup truck and it's rated above 10,001 pounds you MUST HAVE a combination plate for your pickup truck.

up here if you have a cdl your alcohol limit is .04 as opposed to .08 in anything you drive. Not that would be a problem for anyone here.

Where does the common belief that air brakes require a CDL no matter what the rest of the vehicle is stem from? In the past if a vehicle had air brakes you had to have a CDL?

I have a class B in the state of KS and went round and round with this with our converted box truck that didn't have a GVWR rating stamped on it but could have been below 26,001 lb rating, turns out it is 26,200. An air brake endorsement in the state of KS doesn't even exist. Now if you do not take the cdl test with air brakes here, you have an air brake restriction, but if you take it with air brakes you do not have an air brake endorsement. If it doesn't fit the qualifications of a commercial vehicle, they just don't care about it no matter what brake type it has.

I guess I would try to not get the CDL due to the additional restrictions placed on you while driving your own private car.

For the occasional move if you are better off with a trailer rated under 10,000 lb and something like a F350.
Ideally a hydraulic drop deck.
Now if you were to get a cdl you would want a class A, not a B.
B doesn't help with a trailer rated over 10,000 lb.
cheaper to hire out the odd one that needs a class A.

I have had CDL since they came along. Hazmat and doubles, triples, tanks --- even single engine land (no different license). The hazmat is a real hassle. Background check, finger prints.. I get the feeling that unless you really need the endorsements, they would like to make it not worth the trouble. What if I would find a treasure a couple states away? I do need it for my own semi, though.

You should check where the weight limit on a trailer behind a pickup forces you into a commercial license requirement. You may find the trailer you want to pull behind an F250 needs a commercial license.

Why not just find a local trucker with a straight truck that you can use when you need trucking done or hire your neighbour to do the driving for you and help load and unload the truck and trailer. I buy castings from a foundry about half an hour from here that I used to drive to with a trailer behind my pickup. It was often borderline overloaded and I would blow about 1 1/2- 2 hrs going to get the castings. I now get them delivered by a guy with an enclosed straight truck for about $120. He will bring what was 2 loads with my trailer for that and I am in the shop earning money instead of driving my truck burning gas. Usually I am making more than that $120 in 2 hours in the shop. We all want to be able to do everything but if you are not using that trailer or a big truck all the time you are tying up a lot of money that could be better spent somewhere else. I am always amazed at how cheap trucking and couriers are.

Back