What's new
What's new

Doall 16 sfp saw question(s)

plastikosmd

Hot Rolled
Non operational saw with an issue with varidrive. When I got the saw, the belts were hanging loosely and the Drive was locked up. I have searched prior rebuild threads and on the Internet, looking for parts diagram or breakdown on how shaft that supports the sheaves operates. I have not found much. The rear pulley sheave was free spinning and had sheared the two smaller Allen screws that kept it keyed to the shaft.I am also assuming that the larger portion of the shaft (that the sheaves are keyed to) should be free spinning on the smaller shaft. Right now, they are fused solid together.

My question is: am I correct in assuming that the larger part of the shaft should spin on the smaller shaft supporting it?

The shaft, acting like one solid unit(spun bearings/seized??)I did not want to start pressing these two things apart without knowing how they're supposed to function. If they are to spin, how are they secured together, is there snap ring that I am missing?

C2639CAB-8936-408B-A50F-CE18690C41CA_zpszl3jfne5.jpg

Large sleeve has plain bushings each end

Small shaft with oil cup is stationary, sleeve rotates with sheave assy

Since one has to remove machine's rear cover to service this unit with lube on a schedule, it is often ignored - until it gets to be like yours:)

Thank you!
So now to the press, plus heat.
The small shaft has a stop/snap ring to keep it up against the cast mount near the oil cup.
I would prefer to press the larger shaft off the other way, opposite way of oil cup. Removing the rear bolt/plug, I do not see anything that retains the large part to the smaller. Am I missing any snap ring or key etc or just press away?

I think I am understanding you want to press large sleeve away from oil cup end

Only key I see near mount end (other end from oil cup) is a key from rear element of sheave to large sleeve.

If any raised metal on small shaft where set screw was remove same

There appears to be a snap ring groove near that back end, but no ring is called out in parts book - like maybe it was just a "go by" when installing small shaft in its mount

Ok will give it a go when back at shop in a week. It just didn't seem right that the larger shaft would spin on the smaller with no way to retain the 2 together esp with the forces of the sheaves moving to and fro

Ok will give it a go when back at shop in a week. It just didn't seem right that the larger shaft would spin on the smaller with no way to retain the 2 together esp with the forces of the sheaves moving to and fro

There is a collar (on small shaft) on either end that limits sheave assy travel. Possibly these were lost. Simple shaft collar with set screw

All my comments are based on parts book for my 1973 3613-2. Probably good to assume yours can be different since multiple iterations of this system exist

Beneath this bolt I see nothing. It is hard to even see the separation between the 2 shafts. Maybe the larger migrated over the smaller and seized
17C2E08B-35E8-46BE-B878-08F2D3139D29_zpsgshzvbye.jpg

Back