What's new
What's new

does anyone here actually use the "advanced" functions of their DRO ?

tnmgcarbide

Diamond
i just dug up the manual on my cincinnati mill's Anilam dro... i use the x/y, zero, and center finding feature. that's about it. all i bothered to learn in 20+ years .
dro's have leadscrew comp, bolt hole patterns...whatever ..

i usually just recite the numbers from a 15 year old computer, nearby.

i just dug up the manual on my cincinnati mill's Anilam dro... i use the x/y, zero, and center finding feature. that's about it. all i bothered to learn in 20+ years .

I use them all the time, Bolt hole is handy as hell on the mill. I use the edge and center finder as well. I have tools programmed on the lathe dro as well. Both are Acu-Rites. I need to replace the one on my 13 x 30 Holbrook lathe with an Acu-Rite as well

I'm in the same boat as you. My Sony's have all kinds of stuff (no bolt holes calcs though) and I have used only the 'mm' display conversion in the last 20 years. I'll bet the others are worth using but I'm older than dirt and fully entrenched in my ways. Maybe someday just for fun.

Stuart

Bolt hole and half see common use on the mill here. The lathe display has a calculator function that sees a lot of use, but tooling numbering on it is such a weird way i gave up trying to use it just could not get it to work relaibly.

My VCR (DVD recorder for you "modern" folks) flashes 12:00, 12:00, 12:00 all day long because I don't take the time to learn how to set the clock after a power outage. My smart phone is smarter than me, I only use it as a phone and for taking pictures. Any 8-yr. old could probably show me screens on my phone that I wouldn't even know exist.

I've never even used the the center function, if ours even have one (probably, but I've never checked)... I keep a calculator handy, to double check my mental math, and I trig out anything that needs it, keeps me sharp, and I actually enjoy doing math...

On Newalls the bolt hole circle function is really handy, even for doing just 2 or 3 holes in a larger number circle. Or even one hole at a non orthogonal angle.
A Newall on a lathe is handy for multiple tool offsets.
I have a Turnvision on a lathe that would be really awesome to use tool offsets on and program simple parts if it wasn't so brain damaged to program. The manual was obviously written by someone who never used it. We wrote our own user guide, and still just never use it because it's easier to write notes on paper.

Bolt circle , center of bore from three points, center or 1/2 function all the time. Couple of times I have used the plot function to plunge mill a large arc. Try to use tool offsets on the lathe, but somebody always comes along and swings the compound,or just hits the zero button cause thats all they know.

I used the SDM function on mine (along with a test indicator) to make a couple spare keys for my truck. I live in a low population area and my local Ford dealer is 45 miles away and can't cut these types of keys on site, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Made the first one from brass stock to prove out my idea before I cut the money blank. Worked perfectly.

P.S. Just a home shop dingleberry here.

I have used the circular function backwards to find a center having a series of holes on an arc. That gave me the diameter and hole pattern that I could then transfer to make a matching flange. (Odd number of holes so not easy to measure across) I had to exercise my brain but it worked.
That key example looks great. I hate those fobs in my pocket because without warning one of the buttons is hit and the horn goes off in the front yard.

Having now seen the key, could you please tell me where that truck is currently parked? Just askin'

I used the SDM function on mine (along with a test indicator) to make a couple spare keys for my truck. I live in a low population area and my local Ford dealer is 45 miles away and can't cut these types of keys on site, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Made the first one from brass stock to prove out my idea before I cut the money blank. Worked perfectly.

P.S. Just a home shop dingleberry here.

I have used the circular function backwards to find a center having a series of holes on an arc. That gave me the diameter and hole pattern that I could then transfer to make a matching flange. (Odd number of holes so not easy to measure across) I had to exercise my brain but it worked.

Man, I probably never would have thought of that.

I love the bolt hole pattern. Ours has both circle and linear so you can easily do grids to make something like a mini pallet. I frequently use it to define the outer perimeter of a pocket. I find it easier to go to zero rather than something like 1.3173 where I get close and then accidentally go over. on one pass.

It has a bunch of other stuff too, but for the stuff we do it really isn't much help.

I use the various functions on my mill DRO all the time. The old Sargon on my other mill doesn't have all the functions the newer DRO's have and I may just change it out someday. I mainly use the bolt hole function and centering function.

Ken

Back