What's new
What's new

Does it make sense to have both a 10" and 15" swing lathe?

SirRage

Aluminum
I was wondering if it made sense to have both a 10 and 15" swing lathe. The 15 is a gearhead LeBlond Regal which I will be getting later this week. The 10" is a belt driven Sheldon. Both are nice lathes, but I'm pretty sure the 15" LeBlond can do anything the Sheldon can do.

I have a 15" Leblond Dual-Drive (capable of higher speeds) and a 10" South Bend. The only thing that would drive me to get rid of the SB is a lack of space, which isn't a problem yet.

I have both a 9" (actually 10 1/2" throw) and 13" lathe in the shop. I find it much easier to do small parts on the smaller lathe. I can put as small as a 4" chuck on the 9" machine. The smallest chuck I have for the 13" machine is an 8". That's a lot of iron spinning, and much larger tools for a tiny part

Smallest lathe I've ever had was about a 15". But I don't do much tiny model work. I think the small machines might be easier to manipulate for tiny work, if that is your thing. But I like to have a machine big enough to take a 1" bar through the spindle (5c collet max). The chucks used on a 15" lathe aren't bad to handle, nor is the steady rest too heavy for a little part, so that would be the main reason I'd have one handy. I don't use it a lot because the fine pitch cross slide screw is painfully slow, the tailstock doesn't have much travel.

But 2 lathes are better than one. If you can share the same accessories (QC toolholders) and chucks between the two, that is so much the better. Having been in the biz for nearly 40 years, I've found you can't have things too handy. Changeover time is a huge disincentive. I have 2 19" lathes and a 28" lathe that haven't had the chucks off for decades.

I was told that the cost was the footprint or real estate not the machine by the department of bean sorting, they wanted to scrap machines to free the floor!, I still find that funny.
I have seen a 1/4' rod being machined in a 12' swing (feet) craven, I wish I had a camera as it was so funny, possessing a camera on site resulted in immediate dissmisal, which the management were happy to enforce.
2 lathes of similar size can't hurt as jobs often stall waiting for somthing or other, leaving it set up and skipping onto the other works well.
Also 2 jobs can run concurrently if you have a pair of paws to do it, similar tooling helps, QC etc.
Mark

Some years ago, a friend purchased a shop that was empty except for an old Leblond that had been fitted with 12" risers, making an effective 42" swing. He considered scrapping the machine, as it took up considerable space, but put it off for lack of time. In his second year operating in the shop, he got a call from a local utility inquiring about the fate of the old lathe. The previous shop owner had modified the lathe specifically to handle the repair of a large valve/regulator assembly. Friend told the customer that the lathe was still operable, but had no tooling. Customer stated that he would provide tooling and labor to do his job. They delivered these large pieces, did the machine work on the lathe, cleaned up, and left him with a sizeable check for his trouble. He agreed to store the tooling and keep the machine powered up for them. The utility guy said that they would see him in a couple of years. This relationship has endured for over thirty years. The original utility foreman has become his fishing/hunting buddy. Friend's son has found other customers for the lathe over the years sufficient to completely retool the old girl. Moral of the story: You never know when you might need the odd lathe. Regards, Clark

I definitely go along with the majority although scale of my work isn't compatible. Mine is electronic-model-shop-small, as in little microwave components, but not jeweler-lathe-small. Like the OP, I have an old 10 inch Sheldon with 1-3/8 spindle I.D. that permanently wears a good 4-jaw. More frequently used is an 8 inch Emco-Maier with collets.

I wouldn't give up the capability of either of these small lathes. Can't have too many drill presses either

Shop at work I have a Hardinge HLV-BK that usually has collets in it and a Clausing 15"x65" that keeps a 4-jaw on it. Both have there uses. At home I have a Unimat 3", three South Bend 9A's, and a South Bend 13. Cant have too many lathes.

It is nice having two different lathes, although in your case I would keep the better of the two you have now and get a properly small and accurate instrument lathe for collets. Schaublin, Hardinge etc
L

I think I've got 10, not including ones i want to sell. Granted the majority are instrument and watchmakers....but if you have the space, the more the merrier

As well as the convenience of having two machines of differing capabilities, if they are old manual lathes like mine, the second lathe might be real useful if the other lathe becomes ill.

It's been covered pretty well.... But I'll weigh in. Having 2 lathes is nice, having 2 more is great, not counting the inoperable 10ee. If I had more room I'd probably have more. So far I've justified it, they've paid for themselves. With all that said.....i seem to have a shop problem.... high iron content. Had a big upswing in temperature coupled with high humidity this week, spent a day wiping up condensation.

Back