What's new
What's new

Dorian AXA Toolblocks Fit Aloris AXA Toolposts?

morsetaper2

Diamond
Awhile back I bought a pair of used Dorian AXA tool blooks. The blocks are imprinted on the front:

D25AXA-2
Dorian Tool

And on the side:

Dorian
D25-1-2

They are in Exc shape and unmodified. Show just a little bit of wear from normal useage on the dovetail.

One of them will not fit onto my Aloris AXA toolpost (piston type). The other one is a loose fit, and the toolpost handle swings around pretty far before it tightens up. Useable, but the handle "could" get in the way for some lathe ops.

I assume these were probabaly made to fit the Dorian wedge type of toolpost, rather than piston, since the dovetail dims seem to vary much more than Aloris. I have just a couple Aloris Tollholders, and they all fit exactly the same. And seem to be much more Precision than the Dorian.

Can anyone comment on the ability to use Dorian toolholder blocks on Aloris posts?? Piston or wedge type.

I thought they would fit either??

[ 09-04-2006, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: morsetaper2 ]

Put a shim in the dovetail to position handle in safe position. Bend shim edge 90* to help while locking down or super glue shim in place.

No shims required, they are the same
Obviuosly they aren't the same. I have several Aloris AXA tool holders and the dovetail size is consistent from one toolholder to the next.

Not the case w/ these 2 Dorian AXA's I have. One is on the large size, and the other is on the small size. So small it won't even slide onto the Aloris toolpost!

I'm using a piston Aloris toolpost. So perhaps a "wedged" toolpost would not be so sensitive for size devation from one toolholder to the next.

Mark

So, sell them and take the proceeds and buy some Phase II 100 series holders. They are a match to the Aloris AXAs.

What's the problem?

Nick :cool:

Those who need to use shims might also need to use shims on an Aloris to Aloris match. A year or so ago, on the Chaski forum, Marty detailed his encounter with Aloris over older toolposts not accepting later toolholders. I believe Aloris worked things out with him. I think the problem was from very early production / documentation methods.

Back