What's new
What's new

OT: King Dick tools

karl

Cast Iron
Hello,
Because my mind is frequently in the gutter I bought a King Dick wre.. er.. spanner from an Ebay auction in England. I receieved it today and no King Dick on it anywhere. Not a big loss at all as the total was about 5 Pounds but I was bummed. Where there knock offs of their tools made or didn't all of their tools display the company name? Thanks for any information.
Karl

A pic's really needed, as in certian areas of the UK, King Dick can be a generic term for certain patterns of wrenches / spanners.

I have a Dick 14" chef's knife. I kept it down at the shop,and once in a while,I'd ask someone if they wanted to see a 14 inch dick,and show them the knife!!:)

Rumor has it Snap-On is moving to buy them out... I hope it goes through as I believe an adjustable Snap-On/Dick would be quite a handy thing to have.

As long as it's not a Blue Point!

The story goes that his name was Richard....but his mother preferred Dick :D

The tools were all clearly marked as I remember, here's a 5/16" & 3/8" Whitworth from my Whit/BSF tool drawer, looks like it was HM Government property originally.

regards

Brian

Attachments

• King Dick 01s.jpg
    King Dick 01s.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 23,532
I was curious and had to look up King Dick. Nice looking tools.

Paul,

Those tools don't look like the ones I recall....It's many years since I have seen any King Dick tools, but I seem to remember poor quality clunky brutish things....I also recall seeing a Abington King Dick motorcycle here in NZ, a veteran V-twin from hazy memory.

Some cool names for tools: (from the website)

King Dick: Open end podger ==> US: Spud wrench
King Dick: Slogging ring ==> US: Slug wrench

-DU-

Evidently Dick didn’t have as many meanings in 1856 when the company was named, in honour of the owner’s bulldog.

I agree with Peter S up to a point, in that some of their tools were ugly and brutish, and not always well-finished, but my experience was that, to a blind person, the quality was entirely satisfactory (i.e. they fit well and don't break). They are widely used in heavy industry, especially the much-flogged slogging spanners.

Having said that, I have an unusually nicely-finished King Dick version of a Lucas 'girder spanner' (cue side-splitting Lucas jokes). It doesn’t show up well in the photo, but it has a gun-type blued finish:-

Only 8" long ;)

Going back to the original question, if is doesn’t bear the name of that fine upstanding company, then I don’t see how it could be sold as one of their products.

Having said that, I have an unusually nicely-finished King Dick version of a Lucas 'girder spanner' (cue side-splitting Lucas jokes). It doesn’t show up well in the photo, but it has a gun-type blued finish:-

Nice design, nice finish, shape pleasing to the eye.

Paul

Back