What's new
What's new

Drain your compressor at the end of the day?

martin_05

Hot Rolled
Just got off a surreal phone call. I called my compressor manufacturer to question the leakage I am getting (120 to 90 PSI overnight with nothing connected at all). In addition to that, the compressor has an automatic condensate drain valve. I thought this was cool until the damn thing cycles every single time the compressor starts and has a timer with a maximum wait time of 45 minutes. Again, wasting compressed air unnecessarily.

What came back from the other end was "Well, sir the manual says you are supposed to completely drain the tank at the end of the day every day. That's what we recommend".

Once I picked my jaw off the floor I told him that my day job is at a company with dozens of very, very large compressors of all kinds spread all over the facility. There is no way anyone is going to drain them all. It's ludicrous. In fact, I've never seen that done in thirty years, anywhere. You'd probably get fired for it. I mean, it costs money to compress air!

So, here's are the questions:

How often do you drain condensate from your compressor?

What kind of air leakage do you see, whether a machine is connected or not?

Thanks,

-Martin

I drain mine daily just habit and improves the performance of my plasma cutter greatly

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I never drain mine. I have a kaeser auto drain on the wet tank and one is built into the dryer. They fill up with condensate then once they are full they drain only the condensate. No compressed air comes out the auto drain. No compressed are is wasted and they are quiet too.

Drained of air or water???

My last job had a slick setup, compressor was in the ceiling and they ran about 10' of 1/2" diameter hydraulic hose to a ball valve. Nice knowing the water would drain down the hose.

I have an electric auto drain but it is wired to the motor supply. It gives a short burst each time the motor starts then every 45 minutes of continuous running it gives another burst. When the motor is not running no air loss.
I currently have no separate way to drain tank at end of day but it will have a max of 45 minutes of water build up inside.
Bill D.

I have a foot valve hooked up to the drain port placed on the floor right where I open up the main air valve -- at the beginning of the day, I just step on it for a few seconds till I hear air coming out. If I am spray painting or abrasive blasting, I'll step on the valve every time I pass the tank.

On a compressor "drain daily" to me means drain the water off the bottom every day.

I have a 5 hp Champion Advantage series compressor that is about 3 years old now and you can leave the valve on for about 2-3 weeks without loosing enough pressure for the pump to kick on.

This compressor also came with a pneumatic operated auto drain that drains off the accumulated water in the tank every time the pump shuts off. Even when it is not that humid out water always comes out the auto drain hose at the end of each cycle. Based on this observation I don't think draining every cycle is overkill.

Draining the condensation daily from the tank is normal. Draining everything out of the tank??? Someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

With south Texas humidity, we get lot's of condensation. So our's is set up so that all lines are elevated to let everything run back to the compressor tank and a surge tank. Both are equipped with auto drain's that go off for 2 seconds every 30 minutes. We have a Johnson Control refrigerated moisture collector too but it's got a leak and is off at the moment. To avoid leaks, we have ball valves to isolate every machine or bench when they are not in use (seems that most leaks develop in hoses, tools etc) and there's a moisture trap at every machine or bench. We shut off the compressor every night and with it the auto drains.

Interesting comments. Yeah, they told me to drain the entire tank, air and condensate, at the end of the day.

I can see that in more humid regions it might be necessary to drain condensate far more frequently. I didn't think of that, Southern Cal spoiled I guess.

Another take-away is the idea of having the compressor elevated and a separate tank for condensate. I can see this being the "sacrificial" tank. Not sure how convenient it might be.

The more I read about Kaeser compressors and their technology the more I want to buy one.

When I was an apprentice I also acted as the plant maintenance man. One day the owner comes out of the office and ask me to go check on the three 25HP air compressors they were cycling on and off about every five minutes. Not really knowing what to look for I went over and just watched them run for a few minutes. Thought I could drain the water out of the tanks so at least it would look like I was doing something until I thought of something to do. Went and got a five gallon bucket and started to drain water out of the first one I took 11 five gallon pails out of that one compressor. It must have been so full it effectively had a couple gallon received. Once the water was drained out the compressor cycled like it was supposed to.
After this I plumbed the compressors so they could be blown down outside. After that it was my job to blow them down once a week.

I'm kinda paranoid about draining them, I do the whole tank.

Had to change 3 out of 4 air tanks on a truck one time, due to water eating through the tanks. Dont think they had ever been drained.

Costs money to compress air, but neglect also can damadge the compressor and reduce efficiency, that costs money too.

The compressor we use is about 20 years old. It gets drained any were from once a week to maybe twice a month when we remember to think about it. Who ever set this shop up made use of the overhead crane columns, there are six on each side of the shop made from 10" pipe. Each one is piped into our air system so there is a lot of area to displace the water. Takes a while to pressure up our system but once there, boy does it take a lot to bleed it down.

Just got off a surreal phone call. I called my compressor manufacturer to question the leakage I am getting (120 to 90 PSI overnight with nothing connected at all).

So, here's are the questions:

How often do you drain condensate from your compressor?

What kind of air leakage do you see, whether a machine is connected or not?

You have a leak, no question about that. Find out where it is. I still have a small leak in my system
if I leave the main valve open, about 2-5psi overnight. I just close the main valve at the tank and
that is good enough for the moment.

Draining depends on how much air is moving through the system. I have a short length of brass pipe
at the drain so that the tank does not store water, it's in the 12" pipe. I also coated the tank with
industrial primer when I rebuilt the system, no rust at all after more than 10 years.

Maybe you should describe what system you are using and give a link to the manual.

Mine is at startup and for 2 seconds ever hour (auto timed a valve). There is NO value in draining all the air. My air is "dried" by the auto discharge and doesn't eat the tank any quicker charged or at atmospheric pressure. The discharge air volume is insignificant.

Yes, fix the leak.

Back