What's new
What's new

Drill breakage sensor

Pbat

Plastic
Hey!

I'm trying to develop a drill breakage sensing mechanism using electromagnets and a magnetic sensor by feeding a sine wave to the electromagnet. I do not know which magnetic sensor will be more effective the mems sensor or a hall voltage sensor? Also would a pic microcontroller be efficient? If so which one?
Thanks

Yes but the replacement of tool probes is very expensive and and after a time they are not very precise.

I have seen where they pass the tool past a leaf type micro switch.
If the tool is still there, it trips the switch.
If it is broke off, it misses the switch.

Either the micro switch or the magnetic detector needs to be adjusted to the length of the tool.

Magnetic and capacative sensors are already very cheap and easy to get. You can't reinvent one cheaper or easier.

Google proximity sensors.

Not enough information to process input..........
$20 ebay camera? Sense the spindle while in the work? Simple micro switch you touch and a macro in your Fanuc control which could handle varying lengths?
Link to what control? Coolant on or off? Drill size? Spindle rotating? Time available? .030 broken off the tip or 1/2 inch missing?
Do you l;ike PICs and can integrate one in a afternoon? Got macro capability in your control? What do you need to happen when a broken one is detected?

Obvious not carbide as you ideas won't fly at all.
Bob

Back