What's new
What's new

Drill chuck removal from a Milwaukee drill

gjrepesh

Cast Iron
I have a 1/2" Milwaukee drill with a keyless chuck. I haven't made friends with this chuck since I bought the drill and would like to replace with a keyed chuck. I am having trouble removing the chuck. I removed the left-hand screw inside. I inserted a 1/2" allen wrench and hit it multiple time trying to loosen it with no luck. The chuck just spins the rotor. I haven't been too aggressive so far. Is this correct procedure? Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks. Gary R.

I have a 1/2" Milwaukee drill with a keyless chuck. I haven't made friends with this chuck since I bought the drill and would like to replace with a keyed chuck. I am having trouble removing the chuck. I removed the left-hand screw inside. I inserted a 1/2" allen wrench and hit it multiple time trying to loosen it with no luck. The chuck just spins the rotor. I haven't been too aggressive so far. Is this correct procedure? Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks. Gary R.

Is there an 11/16" hex on the end of the shaft, between the chuck and body?

No. The collar that you hold to tighten the chuck on a drill overlaps the end of the drill case. No access to the shaft.

Oh man, that sucks! My hole shooter has that hex. It's a right hand ½-20 with the lefty screw for reverse rotation. That keeps it from spinning off the shaft. Sorry, guess I can't help you. If it's some sort of goofy spline or something, I think you're without options. No, wait a minute. Why would they put a lefty on it? Maybe it is a right hand thread of some ilk.
Damn Milwaukees. From bad to worse.

Been there and Done it. after the LH screw is removed install a 3/8 allen in the chuck, have someone hold the drill motor and with the allen at the 9-3 clock position, give it a karate like chop with a 1 x 4, about 2 ft long, likely loose after the first whack, if not hit it harder.

Grip some hex rod in the chuck and then use the correct size socket and an impact wrench on the hex rod..

I have just replaced ten chucks last week.

Bloody keyless chucks seem to be the default choice on power tools. I have yet to have a good experience with one.

We took the first few off ;mechanically' with much trouble and it took a long time.

In the end, we found we were best making a few slitting cuts in the right places with a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder on slow speed with a 1mm slitting disc.

Once we cut the chuck casing away, and got to the 'guts', we found it easier to get them off.

It seemed brutal, and went against my better nature, but the keyless chucks were knackered anyway, so we weighed up the options and just sliced them away, with certain cuts.

I used to replace a lot of these in my past life. EASIEST way bay far is to get a 1/2" impact with an extension. Clamp the end of the extension into the keyless chuck. Put the impact in reverse, and remove the chuck. I had an extension with the tip ground off and a triangle ground into the end.
Joe

I finally made it back to the shop and got out the 1/2" impact. Great idea. Chuck was off in a flash. Now I need to find a 1/2" chuck with a 1/2" -13 thread.

I like the impact and extension idea. I have a 1/2" Milwaukee hole hog and tried like hell to get the chuck off of it once. All I did was damage the chuck slightly causing it to bind during part of the stroke.

If I remember right, after I got the screw out, I nearly stripped the hex trying to get it to break loose.

Might try it again sometime.

Changed two last week. I just used a 10mm hex and hit it with a hammer- came right off (and Kroil). Replaced one with an $8 Makita keyless (cordless drill) which seems to work better than the one that came with it. and the Milwaukee magnum hole shooter I have not put a new one on yet- still trying to decide if I want to spend $100 on a chuck for a $100 drill motor! I hate the one that it came with!

I replaced my POS Milwaulkee keyless chuck (1/2" cordless hammer drill, but I was able to squeeze/force a skinny wrench onto the shaft ) with a Jacobs 7000 series keyless chuck purchased at the Dewalt store. (or was it 6000series? Gotta look when I get to work on monday) but it has been a great chuck so far and stays locked even when hammer drilling

Alex.

I found a Milwaukee chuck kit on ebay. Came with a Jacobs 1/2" chuck, the left hand allen screw, and a threaded chucking arbor. I guess the keyless chuck now become a shelf display. Thanks for the help. Gary R.

i finally changed out the ROHM chuck on my italian dewalt 1/2 combo drill after reading this thread. NOTHING worked- i heated it , beat it , torqued it , cut it apart, ground recessed flats on the spindle for a wrench... but when i welded a 1/2 HHCS to the end of the mess i had left , attacked it w/ a 1/2 impact wrench - 3/4 socket, it flew right off in 'bout a minute . replaced it w/ a 1/2-20 jacobs chuck i bought back in the 1990's (before they sucked)

the rohm chuck wasn't a bad tool, just abused beyond belief .

I make a special tool for one of my customers out of a Milwaukee 18v cordless drill. It does not use the chuck so I have to remove it. Remove the L / H screw then use an air impact with a 3/8 allen socket to remove the chuck in about 2 seconds. B.T.W. I have about 100 1/2" keyless chucks with 1/2-20 thread if anyone needs one.

Back